Author Topic: Moving a Greenhouse  (Read 2131 times)

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
Moving a Greenhouse
« on: June 21, 2007, 14:09:04 »
Hello All,

Hoping you can help me out on this one.

I'm wanting to move a greenhouse this weekend but have a quick of question... in what order would you remove the glass i.e. walls first - or roof first? and do you think this is something I'll be able to do by myself, or will I need an extra pair of hands???  ???

Thanks

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Moving a Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 14:15:32 »
I go for walls first...........my reasoning is I cant put my foot through it when I am messing about with the roof glass.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 14:41:02 »
I left my husband to it taking a greenhouse apart and the only bit he needed a little help with was the roof as you have to take the whole window out.  A say apart he took out all the glass and we carried the frame.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 15:03:52 »
I usually go roof first but if it's a sturdy frame it doesn't really matter although TeeGee has a point, I've touched the glass walls with a boot-tip more than once.
One point, if its possible, move the frame without dismantleing it. I've found more than once that the beggers never go back as was.
Do a quick measure of the glass before you remove it. I've moved some in the past where the assembly was a poor job and the person fitting the original glass had resrted to cutting it to fit! If it's a home made one this is more important and you might be better off numbering each pane.

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 15:26:20 »
Thanks for the tips and advice.

Its a standard alli one, so the plan is to write on each pane for where it goes i.e FLB (front left bottom) remove all the glass and take the frame whole... depending on how we get on lifting it up and over several fences before strapping it to the trailer!!!!!  :o

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 18:08:31 »
I transferred three houses over the last winter....two were moved within the allotment site bodily after removing the glass.

The third was brought in (the second time I have done this) and I have taken  photgraphs of the house before it is dismantled...in each case the pictures have proved invaluable during the rebuild
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal