Author Topic: What stage should spuds be at now?  (Read 959 times)

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
What stage should spuds be at now?
« on: June 18, 2007, 21:53:31 »
I spent the weekend clearing the weeds from my plot, and discovered a few potato plants.  Im not sure if I should leave them where they are or dig the bed over.  The plants look very leggy, and not at all bushy, and im wondering if they were planted for harvest this year, or have grown from spuds that werent dug up last year.

I guess a lot depends on the variety (when talking harvest times), and I suppose the leggy plants could be due to competeing with the weeds for light, and general lack of TLC.

Basically, I want to know if I should be caring for these plants, or removing them?  They dont really fit in with my 'plan', but could be left until next year without much problem.  Also, if I remove them, should I compost them or not?  Im sure I remembe reading that I shouldnt compost them...

I was tempted to try the few I dug up, but one was full of woodlice and this put me off a bit.

Heres a pic of the plants:

Also, while im on, here is a before and after show - the results of my strimmer antics!

Before

After
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: What stage should spuds be at now?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 22:33:19 »
Well done with the clearing, that's one heck of a lot of strimming.  If it's just a few it's probably spuds that were left in from a previous crop.  You may get one or two from them, or they may all be manky.  Better to dig them up, then you'll have the space for whatever you want to put in.

Every bed that's had potatoes in it will do this, however carefully you dig them up there will always be a rogue one left in, usually so small you miss it, and that will sprout the following year.

Good luck with the rest of the work - don't do it all at once!!!
The Tuscan Beaneater

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 22:38:03 »
If you have the space to leave them to grow, I would do so. (Free crops?)

You're probably right about the reason for them being leggy, but now they have light, that should improve, given time.

Just wait for the tops (haulms) to die down before digging them up, since you don't know what varieties they are. You won't have to wait beyond late September/early October, but maybe earlier if they are earlies.

As far as composting goes, I believe it's OK to compost the leaves and stems, so long as they are not blighted, but not the roots, as they may contain miniature spuds which will grow again next year. (Possibly another reason you have them).
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:45:16 »
We not unfrequently have quite a useful crop from our compost heaps!

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 14:39:49 »
Thanks for the replies.  Im thinking that the spuds may have been planted with the intention of harvesting this year, so I might mound the earth up around a few of the plants that arent in the way, and see what happens!

http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

jemmachan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 17:27:24 »
I have a similar question. There is a row of potatoes on my new allotment from the previous owner. I have no idea how to tell whether they're "done" or not. I was planning on leaving them there until the leaves died. Is this the right thing to do?  Or is there a specific time to harvest them?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 18:31:35 »
Have a root around Jem see for yourself and JJ I'd leave them as you say, but keep an eye on them if they don't grow as Asbean says they may be manky.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal