Author Topic: Why you should smother weeds  (Read 2403 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Why you should smother weeds
« on: June 11, 2007, 11:07:50 »
Further in my saga - as the fussy people on my site don't like things to be covered with cardboard etc (which is "unsightly"), I had put down a tarpaulin, not much better I guess but a bit neater, to smother a very grassy section where I wanted to plant my green beans.
Well, this weekend was the great moment. I lifted the tarp. Lo and behold underneath was a completely weed free area that to boot was beautifully moist and crumbly. And I was especially pleased that the grumpy neighbours were there (BBQing and not digging ha ha) to see the wondrous occasion. In ten minutes I had a quick fork over (I had already bastard trenched it in January so it was so soft) and my son helped me scar out some rows and we planted our beans: in all about half an hour's work.  I cannot tell you how triumphant I felt ! HA HA and best of all we were treated to the sight of a gigantic green lizard and a tiny field mouse that were disturbed by our efforts. The tarp has been moved, to the last bit that needs clearing, then I will have succeeded in planting a 100 m2 allotment in less than 6 months. untidily I admit, with carpet paths still, but planted nonetheless.
AND we went home with about 20 strawberries, some new potatoes that were hiding under the carpet, two handfuls of peas and two beautiful red lettuces.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Why you should smother weeds
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 11:10:22 »
Well done you!!  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 12:34:04 »
congratulations, antipodes, you've proved them wrong, good on yer  ;D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 14:44:13 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

What a great moment! Hope they choked on the bbq!!

Well, coughed a bit, at least!

;)

Buzz

• Not So New ...
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 16:38:36 »
Out of interest, how long did you have it covered for and was there any bindweed amongst the grass?

I'm wondering how to deal with the bindweed in two of my beds and smothering the stuff may be an option depending upon how long it takes.

Many thanks.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 22:47:38 »
I have a bindweed and major knotweed problem on my plot, I don't find the bindweed too bad as long as I keep on top of it but the knotweed is a pain, if you don't spot a bit it can get to 3ft within a few days plus its roots can be 6ft deep and miss one tiny but of it and its back stronger than ever in no time.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 12:37:35 »
ah bindweed - It does seem more or less indestructible, doesn't it? I checked my blog for the date, I put down the tarp the first weekend in May. So about 6 weeks if you want everything to die seems to be the answer. There was some bindweed, it is everywhere on my plot, also grass (LONG grass, groundsel, clover) but the bindweed roots had turned white and were trying to get out of the ground!! So a quick fork-over and I was able to pull up most of the roots. The top bits were dead. Of course it always comes back, you just have to keep digging out the roots and hoeing off the seedlings.
As I don't want to use any weedkiller, covering seems to be the best solution. I will keep using this method, as it has worked excellently for me.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Buzz

• Not So New ...
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 13:39:24 »
Thanks antipodes. I don't anticipate using 2 of my beds until next spring so I might give it a go on those.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 14:02:08 »

Ha ha! Love it that all your rotten neighbours got to watch you effortlessly cultivate your lovely green manured soil. Hope this has given you a well deserved pat on the back for putting up with them and sticking with it.  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 10:42:47 »
Brilliant!!

I'm the only person on my site of a hundred and something allotments that covers ground. And I too use a tarp so it can look 'neat'.

I love that it worked well for you!!

urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 14:20:43 »
where does one get a cheap tarp from and how long does one leave it down?

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 14:03:49 »
thanks for all the encouraging comments. I bought mine from a big hardware depot for a couple of quid, it is about 4 x 3 m so I fold it a bit! Then hold it down with stakes and heavy things. I left it for 5 or 6 weeks for absolutely weed death  ;D it has been quite hot and humid which I think helped. I have started again on another bit ha ha

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 22:48:23 »
given that i have 2 plots 10m x 50m i wont need to fold! I'll keep my eye out!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 10:37:37 »
Well done that girl, and I'm with Katy I hope they choked on their frogs legs.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal