Author Topic: Worrying Forcast  (Read 3824 times)

Rose.mary

• Acre
Worrying Forcast
« on: June 11, 2007, 11:07:11 »
I have just been looking at the weather forcast for the comming week and I am very concerned :o :o. They say we are to have a frost on Saturday the 18th June. I do hope they are proved wrong. If they are right how can we protect all those plants ??? ???.

Rosemary

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Worrying Forcast
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 18:41:38 »
Unless you are half way up a mountain I doubt it will come to much... metcheck were predicting one all May and it never arrived...
 :-\

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 18:46:16 »
They've been predicting rain here for the last fortnight, and not a drop has fallen (grrrrr, she says as she trundles off to the plot to water, again....) x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 19:47:51 »
Long as that rain stays away for Glastonbury, it can water our lottie to its heart's content!

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 20:27:02 »
I have just been looking at the weather forcast for the comming week and I am very concerned :o :o. They say we are to have a frost on Saturday the 18th June. I do hope they are proved wrong. If they are right how can we protect all those plants ??? ???.

Rosemary
They can't get their days right let alone the weather,the 18th is next Monday! :D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 20:49:24 by vegging out »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 20:45:58 »
It says rain for the next 4 days in Hull followed by sunshine for the following 3. This almost what it said for last week and we didn't get a drop XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 20:56:48 »
I take the weather forecast as i do an advert on a bus. It may say Kellogs but they don,t sell them
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 22:33:07 »
I think we may see a few storms toward the back end of the week but frost? not a chance.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 20:34:40 »
I was at work today and we had a couple of torrential downpours. Got home thinking no need to water allotment tonight, and there had hardly been a drop here, 10 miles away!  >:(

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 08:46:46 »
It is torrential rain here in Hull, the school I work at has been closed due to flooding,the bottom end of my lottie will be the same and my greenhouse at home is 2 inches deep.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 09:03:24 »
I thought we were in need of some rain but not a monsoon.
Its been nearly a month since i saw the sun here in the North East
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 09:27:33 »
I think the rain may be my fault, as I have hired a strimmer for the weekend!!!   :-[
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 11:43:50 »
 :( are village has just been given a flood warning (we live near the river Don)

Just got the brolly and had a look at the veg garden, and it's under about 2" of water, I have raised beds, so other than a hammering from the heavy rain I'm hoping the plants will recover (it looks like somebody has been lying down in the potato bed)  :-[

Life is to short !!!

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 11:45:13 »
 :( sorry, that's our village, not are  :-\
Life is to short !!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 12:22:20 »
We just went to out lottie, drove in very carefully, water quite deep on the road.I managed ti get out the passenger side by swinging on to a cement block which was not submerged, John followed through my door. In the adjacent shed I managed to slip on some work boots,Johns wellies in the next shed, impossible.

Managed to get onto the path by stepping on the raised bed woods,path seemed to have about 2 inches deep on it.In the distance I could see the strawberry raised bed,with red jewels staring back at me,my very first chance to taste one,so I started to wade down the path,of course it got deeper as I went as the path dipped, dtermined I kept going,eventually it was ankle deep. I made it to the strawberry bed,strawbrries are fine as the bed is a foot high, one side looked shallower so I managed to pick about 3 pounds from that side, the other side was under water about 7 or 8 inches and daren't risk that incase I fell on the mud underneath.I paddle back and managed to grab a brocolli and cauli as I went past, fortunately the two adjacent to the path were OK.

John climbed back in through the passenger side, I passed the veggies, then my shoes, then I got in, took off the boots and pelted them into the shed(no door on this one)

So I am chuffed,I finally have my first strawberries !!!!!!!!

Almost forgot I managed to grab about a dozen climbing  beans as I went past too, not a lot, but I coudn't get more without falling in,still first of the season .

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:29:40 by Jeannine »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 12:42:01 »
Coventry has taken a real hammering with the rainfall, my allotment is totally under water, or so I believe, and the area has the worst flooding Ihave ever seen. It has been dry so far during daylight, so I am hoping that the level will have dropped enough, at least so I can gain entry to assess the damage.

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Jenfur

• Quarter Acre
  • Eaton Bray, Beds
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 14:28:06 »
Wow hope it all goes down soon for you. Our lottie was flooded back about a month ago and I was suprised how little damage there was, so my fingers are crossed that you will all have the same experience (and your homes and schools etc!)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 14:47:25 »
Absolutely chucking it down again, so I think I will get thoroughly soaked walking home from work ...

Ah well, at least I can dry off when home, perhaps collect some veg on the way ... (at least it will be washed !)

Derek :D
The impossible is just a journey away ...

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 15:11:11 »
Just started sheeting down here over the western outskirts of London, but very welcome as with any luck it'll damp down the dust and grass pollen that's been hanging in the air over our lottie site.
It looks like the kind of 'stop-start' weather that brings immense rain for 20 mins, followed by five mins of hot sun, then repeat the process...

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 15:31:09 »
next week we will be complaining about the lack of rain!!

I have tried to get to my lotty today twice both times it rained.

I am not to worried about flooding as my plot is on the brow of a hill on a downward curve, but i do hope all your plots are OK!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal