Author Topic: What do you grow in yours??  (Read 2442 times)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
What do you grow in yours??
« on: June 10, 2007, 11:51:52 »
I'm interested to find out what I can carry on growing in my greenhouse in the winter months.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: What do you grow in yours??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 11:57:43 »
Lettuce - for a start.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 16:19:02 »
Yes lettuce,and a load of other chicories,mixed leaves(misticanza) Herbs like rocket,purslane,coriander and this year I will be sowing some peas for their shoots.

Winter lettuce can withstand a fair bit of cold but try to keep the water off their leaves and on mild days make sure the house is well ventilated-humidity is a no no

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 16:45:51 »
mooli radish to use in stir fries instead of water chestnuts, spring onions, chinese leaves ,e.g, red mustard and mizuna,  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 23:07:01 »
I plant a few spuds in a barrel late on and we have them on Christmas day. I have a perpetual salad patch in a very big oblong box, I also do a spring onion that holds in a box right through,we usually try to keep a couple of Sungold toms going as long as we can but it does mean putting the heat on at night and if really cold during the day, but we always manage to keep them going to at least late November , we then take off any green ones and they just get us through to New Years day, not tons I hasten to add, but we have always managed a home grown salad with toms at Christmas and New Year, it is a bit of a game. Will we won't we?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 23:27:17 »
I struggle to keep up in spring and for me fall and winter is the time when I can relax and plant something which is not essential but nice to have in the garden. Last year it was globe artichokes, calendula greenheart(lots and will be much more this year), sage, cineraria, alyssum.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 14:31:37 »
 ;D    Afternoon Jeannine,
       I`m interested in growing some spuds for christmas, can you tell me when you plant them and what type do you use?. I tried supermarket spuds but not very good.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 14:59:50 »
Thanks everyone.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 15:10:47 »
I plant Charlottes usually , I know they are second earlies but we like them, I think any earlies would do.

I sometimes save some from my first spuds, then  chit them and plant late July/August.

You can get second season spuds from growers,

Or save some from your earlier planting,(this is best) keep in fridge ,then bring out to chit in June and plant in July.

If from the supermarket I would buy organic new ones, but I have never needed to..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 16:26:32 »
Rosyred, we're also in West London and last winter (our first so it could have been just luck) we grew winter lettuce (Merveille de Quatre Saisons and Bronze Arrow) up at the allotment under standard  Enviromesh (over hosepipe hoops).

It may be there's no need to use the greenhouse and have to worry about ventilation etc.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal