Author Topic: Is banana ok for blackbirds?  (Read 3577 times)

Tulipa

• Hectare
Is banana ok for blackbirds?
« on: June 09, 2007, 16:34:43 »
Hi

I have a blackbird eating a banana which was past its best and had been put in a pot outside the back door ready for the compost. 

Our blackbird who has a nest in the hedge is eating it and came within 3 feet of me to take some.  Is there any reason why I should remove it so he can't have it, or can I leave it there for him?   I would hate to make him ill as he has a family to look after. :-\

Thanks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Is banana ok for blackbirds?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 16:40:38 »
we throw any spoiled fruit out for ours, apples, pears and bananas..somewhere I read to put pieces on sticks in the border, can't remember if it was for thrushes or blackbirds  :)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 20:10:35 »
Yes  think bananas would be ok.  I haven't tried one myself but if the blackie eats it well must be ok.  It would give me raging indigestion but hey, am not a blackie.   ;) ;) ;)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 21:42:52 »
Thanks for your replies, this was a pile of stuff waiting to go to the compost bin, the blackbird had pulled bits and pieces out to find the banana and had eaten the whole of the inside (it was well past its best!) which was why I was a little concerned.

Thinking aboout it, the banana skins are sometimes removed from the compost bin, perhaps this is the culprit...

As long as I am not making him ill by letting him eat it I am happy! :)

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 21:04:33 »
my blackie eats them ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 21:49:31 »
Roses like them too  :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 22:06:53 »
Thanks all, he is fine today, picking up worms as I was digging.  He has the most amazing eyesight as he spots worms moving just under the soil that I never see.  He was as close as two feet to me this morning watching with his beady eyes, bless him.  I will try and get a photo of him, he certainly is a friend. :)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 22:39:21 »
I don't know about blackbirds but bananas are our chickens' favourite food - they eat loads when I can get going off ones cheap.  The only thing I really avoid is avocado which I heard is poisonous to birds - someone told me a small amount can kill a budgie - don't know if it's true but rather safe than sorry.

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 13:02:00 »

Didn't know Blackbirds like Bananas  ??? they won't get thrown into the bin anymore,thanks for the tip,l hate throwing food away.
l usually save the skin for the roses.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 13:32:30 »
Bless him, he ate all the banana and left a nice clean skin for the roses so you would keep both happy Bambi. :)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 13:58:52 »
I must try my blackys on bananas.  I know they go through a lot of raisins in a week.

I just read last night that avocados and chocolate kills budgies.

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 14:43:19 »
There's only one thing to do with overripe nanas - banana cake  ;D
You been goofin' with the bees?

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 15:03:51 »
That's probably why I haven't asked the question sooner!  I usually make banana and chocolate chip cake with mine so they never reach the compost as whole bananas - bet the blackbird couldn't believe his luck when he found it. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal