Author Topic: Organic way of black spot elimination on roses?  (Read 1649 times)

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
Organic way of black spot elimination on roses?
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:24:42 »
I'm wondering whether anyone here has ever used a milk + water spray for treating black spot on roses. I seem to read contradictory advice on what to do. Do you rinse it off or leave it on the leaves are spraying? Skimmed milk or full-fat milk? Searching on the internet, it seems some say skimmed, others say the fat is what works.

Confused!  ???

I don't want to keep using Roseclear to get rid of blackspot on my roses, which is a particular problem in spring.

vegwomble

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
Re: Organic way of black spot elimination on roses?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 14:20:03 »
Hello

I am a member of the rose society i did ask one of the guys a Chelsea about this and he said he had heard from some members using full fat milk and water with limited success i think he said it's either 50ml or 100ml of milk per 1 litre of water spray and leave for around 30 mins and lightly spray off as the milk acts like a fungicide do not this on a hot day also some members even use cornmeal sprinkle around the base of the rose to prevent the spores,  But he said the best thing is roseclear i haven't tried the milk method on my 50 roses i have i always use roseclear on mine.

I hope this helps, If you pm with your address i will send you a leaflet from the society about blackspot and mildew if you would like??

Cheers
Brogusblue
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 14:22:33 by brogusblue »
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 15:04:28 »
Thanks, Brogusblue. Would hate to put you to any trouble re: leaflet though. I just decided against continuing to use Roseclear because I am growing in an extremely tight space and I have veggies in close proximity, so I would like to avoid using systemic pesticide as much as I can! I have a problem with aphids too, but the bluetits I have lured to my little space have kept them under control so far. :)

What about Sulphur-Rose, might this be a better way of controlling mildew and blackspot than Roseclear? I've just ordered a 250g bag to try!!!

vw

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 16:05:41 »
Hello

I have various leaflets here i don't mind if you want a copy you welcome i have:

mildew & black Spot
How to plant & enjoy roses
pruning roses
growing roses on chalk
soil sickness
rose rust
pruning climbing & rambling roses
roses in containers
pruning clematis

As for sulphur-rose i have used it before and it seems o.k problem is i forget to ordered it and wonder in wilko's and come out with rose clear or nothing and then i use a soapy mix to clean my roses.

I have just put a feeding station in my front garden so my disabled mum can watch the birds we have a family of blue tits, great tits and coal tits and greenfinch and a goldfinch visit our feeders they are great to watch as well as the normal blackbirds and pigeons :(  :( greedy buggers 

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal