Author Topic: Winter melons????  (Read 753 times)

frogdoctor

• Not So New ...
  • I love Essex, cos someone has too...
Winter melons????
« on: June 04, 2007, 17:43:58 »
First time go at growing winter melons, so I need some help if possible please, Has anybody grown them before? out of 20 seeds sown I have only 3 left  :'( these are doing well. do they need to be in a greenhouse? do I shelter them from direct sunlight? and so on

Please advise  :-\
Essex is best, well sometimes....

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Winter melons????
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 17:45:34 »
hiya, frogdoctor, welcome aboard, we've only ever grown summer melons, never heard of winter ones..tell us more  :)

frogdoctor

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 17:58:53 »
Well, winter melons are a veg type thing and need cooking, bit like a marrow, come I`m told in various shapes, the one`s I`m growing are round, I first found them in a Chinese supermarket, had to buy a slice to get the seeds, rather expensive, anyway thats about it.
Ta.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 20:23:46 »
Hi,the term Winter Melon is confusing  as there are two things that fall into this category.

1. Regular melons of the casaba family ,grown as usual but have an excellent keeping quality, so they are called winter melons because with a bit of luck you can store them for 10 weeks or so. Santa Claus is one, it is however a fruit as any other melon and should be grown as such.

2. Chinese winter melons, often sold by the slice are actually squash, the name is Tong Qwa, which is Chinese for winter melon. They are usually white or pale cream,some are oblong and some round,taste is a bit like courgette. Often made into a soup.

There are sevaral varieties ,I only know of 8 named ones. They need a very long growing season. I have grown them In British Columbia but not here in the UK. Grow as any winter squash but bear in mind they do need a long season and warm weather to mature.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

frogdoctor

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 18:32:26 »
Thanks Jeannine, I`ll post back when they start to do something.  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal