Author Topic: Hi there, another newbie!  (Read 2184 times)

Justine

Hi there, another newbie!
« on: May 30, 2007, 17:04:28 »
Hi everyone, I'm just copying Jane with a little intro post  :P

Well I'm Justine and I'm 17. My parents have decided I'm allowed to turn a portion of the backgarden into a sort of kicthen garden, so I'm on here to learn all about it really. I can see myself reading through this part of the forum for a while, as I really am clueless about how to make a start on this project! The most our family ever got into gardening was when we were given a rhubarb plant from a friend and we planted it and allowed it to grow wild for a few years till we dug it up and binned it.

I'm not sure on the size of my 'plot', but it is mostly laid to lawn with a part of it as concrete. I'll get measurements when I can locate a measuring tape..
I'm hoping to mainly plant in raised beds and in containers, and then the parents will hopefully cave and allow some chickens (ex-batts) too.

I also have a collie cross dog, Chisum who is 11/12 years old, two syrian hamsters, Jackson-a LH mink banded and Gump-agouti SH (Gump is really my brothers) and three rats, Brinkley-a russian pearl, Bramble-dark phase pearl and Branston-siamese, all top eared smooth coats. I'll put up some pics later.  :)

Think that's probably enough from me, hope to see some of you around the forum!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Hi there, another newbie!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 17:14:41 »
wow, justine, you've got your hands full with all the animals..welcome and don't worry, there's lots of lovely people on here who can advise you about what to do, looking forward to the pics  :)
also, there's quite a few people who grow in containers and in their gardens, they'll be along soon to say hi  :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 17:26:23 »
Phew!  You sound raring to go!  Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll find all sorts of containers to grow stuff in, and I can vouch for raised beds - there's nothing quite like it.

Welcome to the forum  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 19:52:08 »
Hi Justine - good luck with the project.  Try to take some photos as you go so you (and family!) can see your progress, and look back proudly in a year's time or so.  If you do, we'd all love to see them.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 07:19:49 »
Feel free to ask away... welcome to the site!
 ;D

Sajaself

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 08:43:10 »
Welcome

Wish you could give some of your enthusiasm to my 17year old!!!

I think he thinks we are mad ..the allotment doesn't have internet connection so in his eyes is not worth a visit!!!

Deva Duke

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 09:35:41 »
Hi Justine, sounds like you are very keen to get started on the site. I bet it won’t be long before the rest of the family join in with you. Good luck DD.

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 10:50:54 »
Hi Justine,
I have a 16 year old, and she just calls me a tree hugger, glad to see you on the site.  Keep posting!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 10:54:54 »
Hi Justine and welcome!  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

iain

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 01:31:26 »
hi justine welcome, good to hear of young people taking up gardening

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 09:31:21 »
Hi Justine and a warm welcome  :)
I'm a container grower and have lots on the go all crammed into a very very small space but I think that is giving lots of protection and everything is growing well.
Just plant what you like to eat and have fun learning along the way
Lauren  :D

My Little Greenhouse faces South

Looking South with greenhouse behind me
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Justine

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 15:10:29 »
Thanks for the welcome everyone, this place seems so friendly.  :)

Elle Ess, your garden looks lovely, and very productive. I've got a bit more ground space to work with, so I'm looking forward to the amount of things I'll hopefully be able to grow. 'Before' pictures of the area are transferring to the laptop, and I'll let you all see once I photobucket them.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 15:15:20 »
Welcome Justine. You have found a super gardening site. Good luck with your project.
lorna.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 15:30:15 »
Hi Justine and welcome  ;D I agree with Deva Duke about the whole family joining in! just wait till they taste your goodies! My mum is now a veg growing convert!

Justine

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 18:17:54 »
Okay, some quick photos to give you all an idea of what I'm starting with.

Not to scale, but gives an idea of the dimensions etc, shows the garage, concrete driveway, then the grassed area and where the slabs are currently.

Please excuse the mess in the next few pictures.. this area of the garden was for our rabbits, but since they died it hasn't been attended to much, hence the general rubbish, long grass etc, and the garage has looked like that for about two years.  ::)

Basically, this is what I've got. I don't really have anything in my head about how it's going to look. Hoping for some beds in the grass area, and then some potted things/plastic greenhouse etc on the concrete. I should be getting some of the garage for use as a shed (general storage and for starting plants off). Do you think their will be enough room for chickens or quail atall (I was hoping to have them housed on the concrete with a run attached, and then allowed to roam the rest of the garden for a few hours in the evening.. is the main road front and back of the house a major problem, or would wing clipping solve that?).
Any suggestions about anything?

View of grass and garage wall. Blue trellis is boundary line. And my dog helping me take pictures  ::)

View from where the dog was standing in the last pic. Can also see back gate that leads out to a main road.

Back gate and driveway again.

The garage seen from the gate

Another photo and dog

Garage again

You can kind of see where it gets the sunlight in some shots, these pictures were taken at about three o clock, anything sigificant about where the sun gets it or anything?

Oh, and how smelly do compost bins or wormeries get? Do I want one of those?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 18:40:34 »
Most veg appreciate sun... but you seem to have enough... not a pet person but the dog looks helpful...
 8)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 19:21:58 »
Justine fabulous potential. You could always utilize the walls especially any that get the sun. Put up *Shelves* (planks of wood on brackets) and fill with containers...salad stuff, tumbling tomatoes  mixed with flowers and even herbs etc. Might help free up some more space at ground level.
Thanks for sharing the pics

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Justine

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 19:32:59 »
Thanks, the use of the wall space sounds like a brilliant idea. Wouldn't have thought about that myself, lol!

Btw, how does the amount of space compare with average sized plots?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 19:35:43 by Justine »

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 20:16:30 »
Hi Justine and welcome

your question about wormeries and compost both should not smell as long as you follow the rules and do not have to take up too much space.  I used old dust bins as compost bins and made my own wormery.

Good luck with your new venture

BB  :D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 20:43:46 »
you've got lots of space there, especially, as elle ess says,you can go up.. you could even plant a vine or fig against the wall, or train a fruit tree into a fan shape..I'm getting carried away..draw a plan on paper, gets it into focus  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal