Author Topic: Franchi seeds, anyone familiar with them  (Read 9442 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Franchi seeds, anyone familiar with them
« on: May 29, 2007, 22:05:34 »
After my latest seed sort out and looking for stuff to plant late I have found a few packets of Franchis stuff.

I can't be doing with symbols on packets I like to read words, so they have been pushed to the back of the box.

I have a few caulis that say sow March to July, they are Italian seeds,I looked on the site, will is still be March to July here. I have never planted a cauli in July before,there is some regular broccoli too.

Talking of reading words, I wish T&M would use months like sow in April etc instead of Spring or late winter or whatever, I can never remember when one starts and the other finishes. I really dislike T&M for that.

Help with the Franchis would be appreciated.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Plum

• Quarter Acre
Re: Franchi seeds, anyone familiar with them
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 22:11:32 »
The ones I have used have been very good, broad beans 100% germination, good germination with several french beans, lots of lettuce seeds in mixture and again very reliable germination

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 22:17:32 »
Jeannine - I've been using Franchi seeds for a while now, you do get used to the symbols, they do this because they sell to lots of countries over a wide range of climates. They are actually quite easy to follow.  I agree about the seasons, where does late winter end and early spring begin?  I'm not too sure about the Franchi sowing dates either, and go by instinct - what I've read in books/internet, other seed instructions for the same crop, prevailing weather conditions and experience.  If you need a hand with the italian, give a shout.  xx asbean
The Tuscan Beaneater

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 22:20:40 »
First time with Franchi seeds for me this year. Tomato germination excellent and theirs were the only carrots to germinate so a thumbs up from me. ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 22:38:20 »
Have used them for the bulk of my seeds this year.
You get more seeds for your money and they have a really nice catalogue to supplement their online system.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 23:26:28 »
Would agree with delboy and others on the thumbs up.  Our local wholefood aka organic store sells Franchi seeds and I've used them for several years now and you do get significantly more seeds than the average UK packet.

amphibian

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 23:52:47 »
Franchi seeds are th best I have used, germination is second to none and the packets tend to have lots of seeds in for your money.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 14:54:34 »
I like Franchi seeds and I drool at their website!

Check out the artisan soap collection - they're GORGEOUS!

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 15:23:33 »
Franchi Seeds are  will be our first choice from now on, for all of the above reasons. Only thing I would say is that for a lot of their seeds, the name just translates into Chichory from Treviso, Celeriac from Veneto etc. They sound more special in Italian. If T&M started selling "Sprout from Barnsley", I don't think we'd all rush to buy it. Not meant as a criticism, they're great. i particularly like the way they're not afraid to show pictures of tomatoes on the packets, with GREEN bits on

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 15:34:28 »
Have used Franchii seeds for a number of years as I can buy them from Ryton. As everyone says the germination is very good. Also lots of seeds - so the packets of Romaine lettuce I bought in 2004 are still in use and germination still strong.
This year I am growing one of the summer cauli varieties. As it is an Italian variety I am hoping it stands the hot summers we have been having recently and doesn't bolt.

Thinking about it that may explain the sudden cold snap we are having - as soon as I counter one problem another generally crops up.......ho hum!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 15:38:59 »
If T&M started selling "Sprout from Barnsley", I don't think we'd all rush to buy it.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But what about 'Sprout From Stratford - The Bard's 1st Choice'

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 16:05:33 »
OOH, I rather fancy,Parsnipities from Ull  myself,very up market.

Re  tomatoes with green bits on.It is really odd you should mention that as only this morning I was thinking about all the newbies who may be growing for the first time and are going to expecting  their homegrown to look perfect.

Most of my heirlooms have green bits, odd rings  at the blossom end and other funny looking bits and some really weird shapes too.
Nothing is perfect.... well maybe the taste. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 16:25:04 »
If T&M started selling "Sprout from Barnsley", I don't think we'd all rush to buy it.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But what about 'Sprout From Stratford - The Bard's 1st Choice'

Stop that at Once, Trixiebelle! You know where that sort of thing leads to

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 16:27:36 »
Re  tomatoes with green bits on.It is really odd you should mention that as only this morning I was thinking about all the newbies who may be growing for the first time and are going to expecting  their homegrown to look perfect.

you mean my parsnips won't all be 12" long and as straight as a ruler and my beetroot won't all be exactly the same circumference :o :o :o ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 16:39:11 »

Stop that at Once, Trixiebelle! You know where that sort of thing leads to

Red Bull to a Flag  ;D

Chestnuts from Chipping Sodbury  ;D

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 16:54:43 »
i live just down the road from chipping sodbury!! it is were the posher houses start i shall have to ask after their chestnuts next time i pop up to their more expensive shops ( they are getting excited about getting a upmarket supermarket who,s name escapes me at the moment so they will not have to slum at tesco,s
marg ;D ;D

!
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 16:58:20 »
having said how great Franchi is, their radish "firecandle" doesn't look a bit like the packet - it's a funny shade of pink and not a bit smooth

Trixiebelle - i was thinking more along the lines of Shakespeare's  Veg

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 19:20:55 »
Here we go again, get the popcorn folks XX Jeannine

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 19:31:14 »
theothermarge - you must be in Yate (I think) Where about are the lotties in Yate? I can't picture them at all. Lived in Yate for a bit while looking for a house, and then moved to ChucklePerch, i mean Pucklechurch, where Stephen Fry was sent to prison as a lad

RT

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 19:46:49 »
A Tale of Two Titty Fruit..oh no that is Dickens.

and by the way if anyone doubts this one, I have the seeds, they are aubergines.

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal