Author Topic: Cat urinating advice required  (Read 1778 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Cat urinating advice required
« on: May 27, 2007, 15:34:45 »
Not often I post in this section as we only have an ancient guineapig and fish as pets!
But this is on behalf of my niece who is pulling her hair out over her cat urinating in the house.

He can and does go outside, but when they at work has taken to piddling on anything left on the floor! (maybe he is trying to get her to tidy up!) He "marked" her new dried flower pot a few days back.

She is obviously getting a bit annoyed, her carpet and house smells, and she has no idea how to stop him doing it, or why he does it!

He has been  ahem, "fixed", years ago.

I told her someone on my allotment site will know what to do, hence the post!

any ideas anyone???
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Re: Cat urinating advice required
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 15:52:24 »
When one of our old cats did it by the front door we put some drops of citronella oil there to deter her, as cats apparently don't like the smell. Can't remember who told us about that idea, but I think it must have helped stop the problem. I think she was being bothered by other agressive cats in the neighbourhood. Are there other cats who might be bothering him when your niece is not around?
 We had a horrible cat next door to us who would sit on the fence and then dive bomb the cats when they went outside. It took us a while to realize what was going on Consequently one of them started going indoors and ended up having cystitis etc for a while - but do get your neice to check around for agressive cats in the neighbourhood.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 16:21:48 »
Aha that could be the prob Tin Shed, she says she has masses of cats in her neighbourhood, and poor Owen the cat, has been beaten up quite a few times, I guess there is not a lot she can do about that though. :-\ Perhaps a litter tray back in the house?
Will mention the citronella to her, great tip, think I may even have a bottle of it here somewhere.
I am also going to give her a recipe to remove animal smells that I got off the internet last year, when we moved into this house the animals had not been taken for walks or let out, so you can imagine the smell!!  This potion got rid of it though.
Thanks again

DP

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 17:54:10 »
Yes, they do it when they're stressed, or if threatened by other cats.  One of ours does it from time to time in the utility room, right next to the catflap, and it usually coincides with another cat lurking on their territory. 

Cats have to fight for their territories, then they usually respect the boundaries (with the occasional spat), but it just takes one aggressive newcomer to upset the applecart, then they start all over again.  They have to keep their territories marked, our other cat is "top cat" of the neighbourhood, and he marks the trees and bushes around several times a day.  They both have to check often to see who has passed by. They have a very keen sense of smell, and know from one sniff who has been visiting, when and why.  :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 22:57:09 »
Thank You for your replies, have passed the info on to niece, and will be giving her my citronella!
Apparently there are lots of agressive cats around, not sure how she can deal with that, will maybe suggest a litter tray in the house?
But it gives her something to go on, Thanks again! ;)

Janeee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 14:57:03 »
I think a litter tray inside the house would be a good idea, worth a try anyway isn't it!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal