Author Topic: rotivating yes or no?  (Read 4889 times)

scottcara

• Not So New ...
rotivating yes or no?
« on: May 25, 2007, 16:29:38 »
Hi all. I'm a beginner and I'm very puzzled to weather or not to rotivate my new plot witch is over grown at the minute. its approx 300sq m and hasn't been worked for some time.

My idea was to start by strimming it down then rotivating it all before covering with plastic sheeting for the time being while i get my plot set out, build shed etc.

Could anyone shed any light on this subject or offer any advice.

many thanks scott.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: rotivating yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 16:49:04 »
I'm prejudiced, so better start by doing a SEARCH (in the toolbar above) for rotovating.

Enough to keep you busy for a few minutes!!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 17:47:55 by tim »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 17:18:08 »
We prefer the fork method...
 :-\

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 18:09:49 »
Do it by hand or you will make 10x more work for yourself. If you rotovate then you chop all the weeds into hundreds of little pieces then each little piece of the hundred become a weed. Voila: 100 times more weeds to remove than before you started. Yes it looks good after rotovation because the ground looks cleared quickly - but it sharp fills with more weeds quicker too.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 19:51:23 »
As I said, I'm prejudiced.

1. Any digging will bring up the weed seeds of generations.

2. It is said that, if you don't allow couch to grow more than 4" before chopping it, it will disappear.

3. I could not have coped with our first bit - given that, for 14 years, I had 1 1/2 days a week at home - without a rotovator.

This is the difference 7 months made. And I do not believe that we have an inordinate legacy of nasties. I'm prejudiced!!

Simba42

• Half Acre
    • Jen's Allotment
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 19:57:07 »
We hired one for the weekend for £70 for 5 days from HSS and never looked back.. We used roundup 2 weeks before to give it a head start then rotivated the beds down to about 10 inches...

As long as you go over the area with a rack and pick out the roots that are alive you should be OK.  We have 10 beds each 2m by 5m, 1 we did completely by hand the other 9 by munching machine......  To be honest, we would never have managed to do all 10 by hand.... to demoralising.

Both side of the argument win and lose.   Flip a coin....

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 20:00:29 »
Given the current state of my poor aching back, I'd say yes in a moment, but I know (from the experts on here) that I mustn't and I will continue with spade and fork and lots of elbow grease.

Sadly Tim, my previous tenant (and association) did allow the couch grass to grow more than 4" and it's running everywhere.

I thought I'd "just turn over" the bit that I thought I'd cleared and ended up digging the whole patch again and brought out another sack roots that just seemed to go on forever.  I've tried so hard to get the spaghetti ones as well, but I know there are still plenty in there.

There I was thinking I'd have the whole plot dug in a weekend. 

:'(

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Emmalm

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 20:11:28 »
The council strimmed my plot, then I've used roundup on half of it. Three weeks later it was clear which perrenials it didn't get, so I've been spot weeding these out, then next weekend I'm going to get a rotivator if the weather is good enough to go over it. The other half I am digging by hand slowly, part of this half has bindweed and I really don't want to rotivate over that. The other plus is I've been able to plant up as I go in the hand dug section, which is a bit of a morale boost to know I have achieved something, rather than just waiting for the roundup to do its thing.

It will be interesting to see which end is more weed free over the next few months.
Em x

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 21:50:32 »
Dig by hand or you will be fighting the weeds for the next year or so. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 22:13:21 »
I rotivated and yes I have weeds but so does the lady that does it by hand. I think if you want to see progress in a short time rotivate then cover with black plastic and hand dig small patches that you can manage. At least that way wil get some veg this year if you work full time.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 22:35:33 »
I think I may be a masochist - so be warned before you read this!

My personal opinion is that unless you know what weeds you have on our patch you shouldn't rotovate. Basically because you can spread all the nasties around which make it a b****r to sort out. I also know you can't dig couch grass and horsetail out. But I have not found yet a successful weedkiller.

So I truly believe the only way is to dig the weeds out initially and then persevere in the isolated spots where there is a lot of perennials. Andy es the old timers at the lottie laugh at me too!

Still digging..... :D

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 22:58:31 »
I found the secret if you are going to rotovate is to plant it up straight away and hope the plants beat the weeds in growth.

Years down the line, I would never rotovate but then I have been digging for the past 20 years and still have bindweed in abundance :o

I also don't like the thought of chopping all those poor worms into little pieces now. ;D

Deva Duke

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 23:03:02 »
If you are capable and the back can take it using a spade and fork to me is the best way. However if you feel the need to use a rotavator then go for it. How about dividing the plot in two, hand dig one half and rotavate the other. After several weeks post the results of which one worked best for you.  Which ever way you choose good luck DD.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 23:24:08 »
I'm saying nothing. Narthing. :P

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 01:30:44 »
Irrespective of whether you rotovate or not, covering in thick black plastic is always beneficial.

Your choice depends on :
1) are you up to digging a whole plot
2) are you organic
3) do you want to plant this year - its getting on a bit now - longest day in 3.5 weeks

If the answer to 3 is No, then cover & leave for at least a month, then start digging as you feel fit. Within just a month the top growth will start to die off. If you can, leave until the Autumn.

You don't have to dig the whole plot in one go. It took me two winters to clear my plot by fork - but I'm glad I did it that way - I KNOW there are no perennial roots in my plot (God knows I shifted enough bindweed to feed an army) , and this winter, I can rotovate rather than dig without any problems.

scottcara

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 09:17:01 »
Good morning guys. iv just woken and logged on for my second day on a4a and found a dozen replies to my questions.

This site is great and thank you so much every one for your advice.

Cheers Scott :)

Simba42

• Half Acre
    • Jen's Allotment
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 09:19:23 »
you normally only need wait a few minutes for a handfull of replys....

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 16:24:26 »
just make sure you have nothing like Mares tail present as if your rotorvate you'll wish you hadn't!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 19:28:59 »
Don't talk to me about mares tail its everywhere. :'( :( >:( ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 20:21:59 »
i'm finding the black roots but am having a hard job finding the top growth !!!!    :o
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal