Author Topic: Building a coldframe  (Read 1169 times)

Deva Duke

• Not So New ...
Building a coldframe
« on: May 24, 2007, 21:36:57 »
Hi there! I’m about to make a Coldframe from scratch. I’ve manage to get hold of some concrete blocks and two DG windows; I should be OK with the building of it. However, Q1. What does the frame sit on? Is it best on soil, concrete, brick, wood? Q2. How big should it be? I know the size of the DG windows ‘100 x 60 cm’ will determine the actual size but, is this to big / small and what height I’m I looking at.  Any info would be most appreciated. Thanks DD.

scottcara

• Not So New ...
Re: Building a coldframe
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 13:16:13 »
Hi there I'm a beginner to all this and not quite sure what a cold frame is, but i am a builder by trade so if you could give me a brief explanation of one then hopefully i could be of some help regarding the base etc. Scott

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 13:54:04 »
I have two coldframes. Both are about 1.2 metre long by 50 cm wide, 45 cm depth at the back and 30 cm depth at the front ( 4ft long, 2ftish wide, 18inches back height and 12 inches front height).

They are both portable and glass and aluminium. I got them cheap (£1 for the first from a council rubbish site and £15 for the second sold as new from someone who had given up gardening)

Neither has a base. In the winter/spring I put the frames over a base of chicken wire and black plastic (to keep mice out and build up warmth) to bring on seedlings etc for planting out. In the summer I place them direct on the soil of my raised beds to grow on melons. I haven't had permanent brick cold frames previously - but the ones I have seen at Ryton and other gardens tend to be slightly deeper at the back and front and perhaps a little wider. The base for the walls of the frame look to be set up like any other wall with a engineering brick as a dpc. The inside of the frame then looks to be filled with a topsoil. Hope this helps.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 14:11:54 »
This is mine;

I find this simple but effective and I hope it gives you ideas

scottcara

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 14:27:26 »
Thanks to tee gee i now know what a cold frame is. If it only 2-3 course of blocks high then i recommend a foundation of approx 4" of concrete should be plenty or if not possible to use concrete on a allotment then some decent slabs layed level on maybe 4" of hardcore or crushed rubble compacted down with a wacker plate witch can be hired from most good hire shops.

Regards Scott.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 17:21:42 »
Mine are in wood and open based...

;D

Deva Duke

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 22:38:47 »
Spot on, Brilliant. Just the answers I was looking for. I bet you can guess what I’m doing this Bank Holiday. Thanks DD.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal