Author Topic: Seedling disasters  (Read 3997 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Seedling disasters
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 21:21:59 »
.Sadly my mini green house has now become a 'plant shelf' after losing the cover due to gales.
Erm...don't mean to bang on about the mini g/h but I bought a replacement cover at our local garden centre for £5 approx. I use it as an overflow from small 'proper' g/h, then a place to harden off plants. Without said cover of course. ;D

Lupins all scoffed since I put them out  >:(
Smile, it confuses people.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 21:30:53 »
where have all the slgs and snails come from this year..must be the mild weather..they're getting on my ruddy nerves !!! >:(
and the greenfly, whitefly and cutworms..why do I bother?  :)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 21:57:11 »
i grew 2 r/trainer full of sugar snaps and they were slugged and my winter cabbages were a disaster all full of holes and it wasn,t skyrats as they were netted
our slimy enemies just kept chomping and breeding all through the winter it seems
i,v got a G/h which is my little heaven but still use the coverless mini for hardening off plants thinking of taking it apart for G/H shelving tho
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 22:04:11 »
Someone very kindly sent me some Yard Long bean seeds.  They germinated but the slugs and snails have eaten all but two of the plants. 

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007, 14:43:09 »
I've taken to floating my lettuce and chinese veggies in polstyrene cells in a water butt  ;D

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007, 17:21:17 »
Quite a lot of my seedlings went a bit leggy as the germination window sill is west facing.  They seem to have done well once potted on though, I lose about 10-20% through natural causes and careless handling.

My FIL gave us a 3-tier plastic greenhouse and they've been going great guns in that, against a west facing wall in the back garden.  the courgettes loved it in there.

That said, the toms are getting too big for it now, is it too soon to plant them out?
My allotment blog Plot326.  In it's infancy at the mo but in time it'll grow.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 22:04:06 »
 :'(

Just got back from the plot to find ALL the seedlings i transplanted have died.

They were looking fine monday, a little wilted yesterday and dead today  :'(

I have lost 2 trays of swede and lettuce and my tomatos look like there heading the same way!

I can only imagine that with the heat and the wind that they got scorched  :'(

I am going up to the plot tomorrow and going to sow seeds directly in place rather than start them off again in trays.

But i have 3 trays of onions that are 2 inches high which i want to transplant do you think they might be OK?

Cambourne7

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007, 23:59:25 »
Having been sooooo thrilled at managing to get carrots to germinate at last, I now find that Mr. s**ding Mole has been very busy and disrupted the lot.  Aaarrrrrggggggghhh.........

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 00:27:36 »
Emaggie i am sending you a cyber hug to see if that helps..

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 09:06:35 »
.Sadly my mini green house has now become a 'plant shelf' after losing the cover due to gales.
Erm...don't mean to bang on about the mini g/h but I bought a replacement cover at our local garden centre for £5 approx. I use it as an overflow from small 'proper' g/h, then a place to harden off plants. Without said cover of course. ;D

I had two covers (nylon? and fleece ), both of which were torn in pieces by strong wind so I gave up. ::) If I find a cheap replacement cover I will still be tempted to buy it though. :D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 11:01:08 »
Thanks Cam, it does ;D
Re. your onions, I let mine get to about 4" before launching them into the big wide lottie world, they seem to be struggling on slowly but they are still there. Not sure whether I did the right thing, perhaps a seasoned onion grower can point us in the right direction.
Shame about the rest though. :(

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007, 11:23:29 »
mmm kind of agree with the post about late sowing. my friend who is excellent gardener keeps saying "oh I haven't sown that yet" about most things but his veg are always great. I put in lots of stuff in late March early April and most of it either didn't sprout or was completely devastated in the subsequent cold snap. I re sowed peas last week because the first ones were just pathetic. All the resowing I did in May seems to have been successful though, must have been the rain, even the parsnips are looking good.
funny about so many of you saying the peas are rubbish, I was so looking forward to a bumper crop but looks like I might have to wait till next year for that.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 12:56:31 »
Lost rows of French Beans, PSB, Broccoletto, Carrots & Beetroot to my hippo sized slugs! :'( :'( :'( (Consequently my plot now looks empty!!
On my way up there this afternoon to see what else they have dined on during the week, hopefully not my healthy looking runners that I put in!!
Still plenty of time to sow tho, was just hoping to be ahead of the game this year, see you plan, and mother nature puts a stop to it! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

John_Pearce

• Not So New ...
  • Grow, grow, grow
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 14:24:53 »
Disastrous year for beans.... 48 dwarf Kenyan beans and 48 borlotti in and only three Kenyan appeared.  Post mortem revealed an absence of beans in the pots, the rest taken by mice.   :(

Replacements going in propagator this weekend with an anti mouse brick on top. 

Frustrating but not the end of the world.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2007, 16:51:40 »
My spuds are a bit of a disaster area; those that have come up are looking good, but I used a different seed source, got them very late, and a lot haven't emerged at all.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 09:15:53 »
We've lost a few of several things, as you do.  But the real disasters were early runner bens, planted out too early and scorched by the wind.  They've since been replaced.

And  :( my first planting of celery have all had it.  I've not grown celery before, and was already down to only three survivors, and they got overheated last week and have died.

There's another tray of them coming on, but the second lot are still very tiny.   Better luck this time, I hope.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal