Author Topic: Seedling disasters  (Read 4006 times)

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
  • 250 square metres of heaven
Seedling disasters
« on: May 21, 2007, 18:55:04 »
so far I have lost carrots (admittedly expected this, they were a bit of an experiment to show middle daughter how things grow!), courgettes(suspect too long in pots, but they were large pots?!), pumpkins (think birds got them!) and as for my sunflowers - well the ones my son brought home frompreschool are more successful!!!

Am I too late for all of the above to start from scratch? I have been given one of those 3 tier min greenhouses for the garden so I can look after my babies properly now, in the absence of a "proper" greenhouse this year!

Thanks!

Rohaise

Re: Seedling disasters
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 19:00:23 »
My disaster were the Tumbler Tom Tomatoes ...only one germinated !  All the other types I tried came up ,cant understand why these didn,t ..and once again ..they were blooming expensive !!!  Rohaise   >:(

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 19:08:58 »
yes you can sow all of them still, carrots into August even. remember that as summer is coming on, greenhouses - even those ones with the plastic cover - I have one, can be too hot for seedlings. Once they've germinated, let them grow on outside, or keep the cover open on your 3 tier thing. Maybe still keep a watch for cold nights with the squashes - tho when your next batch germinate, we should be free from frost etc

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 22:53:27 »
We are still sowing like mad...
 ;D

LJ

• Quarter Acre
  • Bridgend, South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 23:07:52 »
I know the feeling Barbara  :'( I've lost my courgettes too!! How long does everyone wait after germination before they plant them out. It's my first time growing veggies and I was gutted when I saw they were dying, my poor babies  :(

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 23:08:48 »
Iff you can find some space get some thing in it. Done this today for Carrots to go in tomorrow
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 23:14:53 »
Have just had to sow french beans again, I knew I should have used the little blue pellets......(was away for a week and the damage was done by the time I got back ::))
Smile, it confuses people.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 05:28:48 »
my beans were shredded as they were hardening off on the deck, not by snails, by the wind.  so sowed a whole lot more last week which are back on the window sill now. 

my courgettes in pots are just throwing up baby bloomettes all over the place, and I've still to dig the bed up at the lottie yet.  hope they don't mind being transplanted when they're so big!   ::)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 05:51:35 »
My sweetcorn and dwarf french beans have been devastated by the wind we had last week. Sowed replacement beans direct into the soil and will sow more sweetcorn later today indoors.

lauraladybird

• Not So New ...
  • greetings from wirral
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 11:16:28 »
I have sown everything in peat pots, cos I'm fed up of washing out plant pots,seed trays etc, and I said to them 'I will go and prepare a place for you'!  So am off to lotty to dig up weeds.   
Where there's muck there's an allotment gardener!

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 11:37:08 »
Been very lazy this year and have only sown toms in peat pots. All others are getting chucked directly into the allotment - beans, courgettes etc. Last year I spent a lot of time and energy on squash and corn and lost the lot of them when I planted. Had to re-sow anyway.  :'(
Have cheated and bought cheapo seedlings - leeks, ps broccoli and cabbages.
This year it's squash.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 12:35:31 »
Ah.  What you need is a mother - not any mother, but MY mother.  Being recently retired, she's started growing things from seed for me (100 dwarf french beans went in a few weeks ago...!) and is really very good at it.

Personally, I have managed to keep the following alive and growing: cabbages x 2 types, sprouts, leeks, spring onions, chillies, sorrel (an astonishing success!)

Those that are on a knife edge between this life and the next: lettuces, tomatoes, some of the chillies, basil.

Things I won't even bother to try at home until I get a greenhouse: sweetcorn, tomatoes, hot house vegetables, herbs.

The direct sow plants so far are: beetroot, peas, runner beans, perpetual spinach - all of which are doing well left to their own devices.  Additional direct sow will be butternut squash & courgettes.

There's nothing wrong with plug plants - there are several on my plot already!

dawn34

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 14:21:25 »
we've lost 2 rows of peas and we started these off at home under mini greenhouse, they were big enough to go out but something has had them at least got one good row, with loads of weeds coming through it's a job for saturday unless it rains.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 16:10:27 »
because of my accident i was miles behind this year so every thing has gone in late and i,m going to plant late next year cuz i,v found things grow a lot faster and stronger!! i,v never had carrots appear so fast and i,v noticed others R beans that are a foot higher than mine looking windblown and poorly the same for sweetcorn
when we first had our lotty in a hot july we cleared a small patch and sowed R beans which belted up and we were still picking in october.it is only may after all
and some years we are still having frosts and plants seem to know when to grow
i think gardening magazines rush in and panic gardeners into planting too early
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 16:23:11 »
I've lost a vast number of seedlings to very hungry snails. :( Lettuces, carrots, courgette, beans, brassicas, etc.

Last year my mini green house was blown over and I lost lots of seedlings. I had to sow almost all tomatoes and chillies. Do weigh it down with lots of bricks or something.

I think you can still sow them, Barbara. I'm still sowing pumpkins. ;)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 16:39:22 »
Tora I put 2 bricks in the bottom of my mini g'house and tied the cover round under the bottom and over the top with a piece of string. It stayed put. ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 17:03:03 »
Emagggie, you are very wise! ;) I thought the weight of pots on the mini green house was heavy enough and the disaster happened! :-[ Sadly my mini green house has now become a 'plant shelf' after losing the cover due to gales. :D I'd love to have a proper green house one day!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 17:27:18 »
As its confession time I have to admit having a bit of a bad year with Peas & Runner beans (French ones OK)

Just as well I prefer them to runners!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 18:36:29 »
I too have lost a lot for various reasons, wind, baking them, insects,poor germination and a two year old who likes to dig my seedlings out >:( :( :'( ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 19:28:02 »
sugar snaps..everything else ok  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal