Author Topic: chilli jelly  (Read 6089 times)

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
chilli jelly
« on: May 21, 2007, 00:12:34 »
Hello everybody,
                           i need some help. I'm tring to make chilli jelly, but i always end up with chilli jam :-\ I'm using shop bought pectin and sugar, i pct of pectin to i pack sugar, can anybody help, do i just add more pectin.

cheers all
Woody

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: chilli jelly
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:54:44 »
 :-\

Totally ignorant myself, but love chilli jelly! Googled and found this one, I know it has other fuit in it, but that would be one way to avoid having to muck about with pectin? I know it's not strictly Chilli...but maybe you could adapt it?

???

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 14:38:14 »
hmmm can't see any link? but i too have googled and made different styles but it never ever sets right, i suppose its try try again, i'll have another surf.
Cheers
Woody

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 15:30:34 »
Woody, I make my Chilli Jelly by starting with apple jelly, enough chillies in there and they won't taste the apple! ;) ;)

If I remember correctly didn't EJ have a chilli Jelly thread going??
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 15:48:31 »
cheers doris,
                    i'll have a search :-*

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 18:36:41 »
 :-[

Doh! Sorry, on nights and was brain dead when I posted before!

http://www.thechilliking.com/Recipes/ChilliAppleJelly.shtml

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 19:09:42 »
I do a jalapeno jelly.I mince the jalapenos and simmer till very soft then strain through  muslin,then coffee filters,you will end up with a fairly  clear very hot pungent liquid,then depending on the amount of heat  you want you can dilute it down. Then take that liquid and proceed to make jelly,I add a few drops of food colouring, scim the top  and it is crystal clear when finished, very sweet and very very hot.

I did make this  recipe for sale when I lived abroad and it was a favourite seller, however as I  would make a very big batch of the chili jiuce which I froze and used as and when I needed it , it would be difficult to give you an exact recipe for the juice in  smaller quantities.

You do have to use Certo pectin as they is no natural pectin in the juice. I did not put regular green peppers in it by the way, just jalapenos.

I think if I read your question right though you were looking for a way of getting jelly rather than jam,if you prepare your peppers as above whatever you put in it will do the job for you.I hope this makes sense XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 19:37:35 »
Woody, I know this is a little of topic, but my OH loves Chilli and mint jelly - he eats it on avery type of roast dinner, I guess you could make it similar to Jeannine's recipe, but add fresh mint

Kathi
Kathi :-)

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 20:05:07 »
i've decided to use geletene and not pectin, i'll let you know in the morning if its set, as its for commercial use i need a quick jelly.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 11:21:45 »
Following a recipe from this site, I used Bramley apples as the base (pips skin and all). Jelly formed very well.

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 14:41:01 »
it set yehaaaaaaaa,
                                had to use geletene but at least it now wobbles, i would love to crack the pectin way but for now i am happy, thanks guys and girls

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 15:41:16 »
Just a word of caution if using gelatine.  Once it's made up, it doesn't take kindly to long term storage, especially if the ambient temperature is warm-ish.  I know that in theory it's "thermo-reversible", but in practice (at least IME  ;D ) it isn't.

I suspect that the proteins break down in some way, but I don't really know.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 18:24:07 »
 I am a bit confused.I thought you wanted to make a jelly as in jams and jellies,one that would keep a long time  rather than a jelly that you would have with custard? ( I know you wouldn't  have chilli jelly with custard)
 I am interested in knowing more ??

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 20:50:15 »
also hate to put a damper on it, vegetarians will not eat a gelatin based product, unless vegetarian gelatin has been used..............sorry!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 22:02:32 »
cheers all,
                just need something quick to make that sets and tastes great for the stall, don't need all that jelly bag stuff :P

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 22:05:18 »
 gelateen starts to break down after 3 days and in warm  it is quicker and does not freeze.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 22:41:22 »
Woody - you're obviously a person with a bit of get up and go, and obviously want to make a success of your business.
WORD OF ADVICE - from someone that's been there, done that etc etc.
It's not wise to use quick fixes to put something on your stall to sell. You end up with an inferior product, and believe me, it just isn't worth it long term. You'll lose customers that you may already have, and they aren't going to recommend you.
Far better to make a chilli jelly in the conventional way - NOT with gelatine.

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 06:52:41 »
don't worry unless its the best ever its not for sale ;D i made some with geletene and its already gone a bit mushy so i will try again with the pectin, the stall is my baby and everything i sell is first class, its not a quick fix i'm after just quick to make :P
From what i can gather there is different types of pectin, i think i just need to find another source ::)
Cheers all

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 07:35:02 »
Try the liquid Certo pectin,I find it is very easy to work with and they have a site Certo UK.

When I use my chili juice to make my jelly, I measure out the correct amount of juice, sugar and Certo. As there is no natural pectin in what I am making the amount of Certo is higher. Bear in mind you don't need natural pectin to get it to set.  It is possible to make jelly without when using Certo,I also make a por wine jelly which has none either and the Certo sets it no trouble.

The reason my Red Hot Jalapeno sold so well,and I might add it was expensive compared to my other jellies, was because it was pure jalapeno, without any filler fruit . That is what the customers wanted.

I could make it with habernero etc, once I had the balance of heat right from the original liquid, this is the bit you have to play with,

XX Jeannine

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 07:39:34 »
Thanks,
            your a star jeannine, i wil try certo uk. I will send you a jar when i have perfected it.............a huge thanks for everybody, what a great site, down my lottie to weed today, i will take my camera.

Speak later

woody

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal