Author Topic: Harvesting globe artichokes  (Read 2992 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Harvesting globe artichokes
« on: May 20, 2007, 15:50:24 »
My Dr Hessayon book says to harvest the "king" i.e. the leading fruit when it is "swollen but not opened", which mine seems to be, but suggests this would be at the end of June. I'd expect them to be early this year, like everything else, but has anyone already started harvesting?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Harvesting globe artichokes
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 16:20:44 »
Yes - we started a week or so ago. But we like to eat them young, before the choke is developed.

We steam them in a covered saucepan - probably the correct word is "stove" them - with water, olive oil, lemon juice, herbs & garlic, ie. a la greque. Serve as a starter and you can eat more or less the whole thing - no choke!

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 17:04:16 »
I harvested my first artichoke today. I cut the king bud and four little ones are coming!

My artichoke is covered with blackflies though. :-\ Is this a common problem with artichoke and what should I do?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 17:09:55 »
How do you all get so far ahead?

Blackfly? - spoil the look of the flower. A good squirt as you say!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 17:10:26 »
I notice you are both way further south than me, so think I'll wait a bit longer.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 17:34:43 »
I think mine are months away - no sign of flowers at all.  Tim what an amazing plant - didn't realise they got that big.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 17:40:22 »
I have just one plant that has one that  is close,maybe another week, but the 5 plants are way behind XX
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 19:07:38 »
hmm, one of mine is just starting to open - wonder if I've left it a bit late ?  will cut it next week and see.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 19:12:23 »
We have already had the first two heads and then a load of small ones, cooked the same way as Trevor does his. But blackfly do seem to love them.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 23:46:32 »
I've had two meals so far at weekly intervals and with 5 nice black ones almost ready now but are being saved for a few more days until the peas and broad beans are ready. I'm hoping to have at least a couple of meals each week now into July, yum yum.

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 19:24:36 »
I started harvesting small artichokes in April this year  :o
I've had a steady supply since and should be harvesting my first fullsize chokes very soon.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 19:35:43 »
It is funny seeing this tonight, I just ate our first one of the season XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 20:54:37 »
My plant is showing to globes the size of a golf ball how big should I leave them to get? How do I prepare it?? This plant looked dead last year and now it looks beautiful.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 21:07:58 »
Mine was about the size of a small coconut, large grapefruit.

I soaked it in salt water fro a while to get the homesteaders out, then staemed it till the centre was tender when stuck with a sharp knife.

I had a liitle dish with melted butter, one by one I peel off the outside scales, dip in butter, then bite  the soft base part, it is sort of biting and holding with your teeth,pulling the scale out , and then eating the soft bit that remains in your mouth. When you have worked your round all the scales you will be left with the centre core,the choke, which is soft, if you have gauged it right there be just enough butter to finsih it off!..

That is what I do??

XX Jeannine

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 21:20:42 »
My plant is only three or four leaves so far, guess I won't be joining you lot for supper for a while.

Sand

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 12:33:13 »
Ate our first one yesterday- it didn't have much flesh on the outer leaves. Is that an indication that I picked it too soon?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 14:13:07 »
A friend of mine gave me 3 artichoke plants that are only tiny now and look poorly but I know they start off like this and next year will be beaut. BUT take a look at this: one of the (nice) neighbours on my allotments has the most terrific artichoke plant, and on Friday I took a pic of it for you all. I bet she will be harvesting any time now  ;D
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 14:54:59 »
I hope thats not a cardoon !!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 16:18:48 »
Brilliant plant, but looks to me as if they should have harvested already, they look half open- not that I'm an expert, as you can tell from my questions in this thread! ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 18:20:38 »
Thats's what I thought, the shape looks just a bit different too, I wondered if it was a cardoon, but I do have trouble telling them apart at this stage. I am sure somone can tell us though XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal