Author Topic: blanket weed  (Read 1933 times)

madbrad

• Not So New ...
blanket weed
« on: May 12, 2007, 17:30:04 »
Well seeing it has been sunny lately as our pond has been overtaken with blanketweed(I think its that anyway)& have been taking most of it out but its a ongoing battle & looking for some advice regarding best way to combat it .Got 2 water hyacith in at the moment & looking to buy some water soldiers & frogbit as other floaters as my wife feels its to small for a water lily & also got some barley straw in at the moment but don't know if we are doing it right  ???

Cheers Madbrad

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: blanket weed
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 21:04:02 »
I would go buy some oxygenators for your pond.  Plants that float on the top and cut out some sunlight.  In the meantime the barley straw will help a bit, it does cut back the blanket weed.  Good luck, but i expect there will be more replies to your query.   ;)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 22:48:15 »
Lilies are great for providing cover which kills the blanket weed & you can get small ones for smaller ponds.  I'd take care with the hyacith as they are very invasive though they do get killed off in the winter.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 21:34:34 »
Was inundated with blanketweed 2 years ago. Bought some brilliant oxygenating plant & it multiplied & filled the pond. Problem. We had a few duckweed plants which we've never got rid of in the past & guess what?
Pond full.
Heaved the lot out except for a few well washed oxygenater strands.
Now vigilant.
Neighbourhood watch. Good grief!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 23:33:16 »
Masses of blanket weed earlier on this year. however, it has now virtually disappeared as the oxygenating plants and other plants have grown and are taking the nitrogen from the water and also shading it from the sun. Also got rid of the goldfish because their cr@p is rich in nutrients and encourages blanket weed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal