Author Topic: A few May bloomers  (Read 3491 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
A few May bloomers
« on: May 07, 2007, 20:20:01 »
I took these snaps yesterday in the garden.  Lily of the Valley, Narcissi Pheasant's Eye (which I love), Arum Italicum (wish the bracts lasted longer), Salix Interga, Pansies, my window box (of which I'm quite proud), Allium Purple Sensation, Bergenia and Bugle. G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: A few May bloomers
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 20:21:54 »
I seem to be drawn to blue flowers at the moment, lovely pics, georgie  ;D
mind you, I do love lily of the valley  :)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 20:28:23 »
I love that window box with the orange violas.  Wonderful pics, thanks.  :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 20:25:39 »
Lovely pics as usual Georgie. I didn't know that Lily of the valley spread so much, mine have taken over a fair lump of one border. My Allium which you kindly sent me have bloomed (yipee). Do I lift and store at end of season?
Lorna

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 20:39:07 »
Thanks Lorna.  If you Alliums are in a border they should be fine left where they are.  If they are in pots, then I'd say move the pots to a frost free place over winter or lift and store the bulbs in dry compost in a dry, dark place.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 20:43:52 »
Thanks Georgie.

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 21:21:10 »
Those are lovely and I'm particularly envious of your lily of the valley, it's beautiful. Mine has flowered but it's looking a bit sorry for itself, I guess after having been scratched up by our hens last year and then replanted hasn't done it much good.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 21:35:55 »
Those are lovely and I'm particularly envious of your lily of the valley, it's beautiful. Mine has flowered but it's looking a bit sorry for itself, I guess after having been scratched up by our hens last year and then replanted hasn't done it much good.

They are in their fifth year and this is the best year I've had for flowers so not exactly a 'value for money plant'.  Perhaps they don't really like being in pots?  And LOL, I'm sure the hens don't help.   :D

G x

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 07:02:13 »
Lovely pictures. I just love lily of the valley. The only problem is it spreads such a lot. I have thought of growing some in a container. Might try this year. I have got some in the front garden but it is growing under a Bears Breeches plant in the shade. Only the fairies can see it.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 18:45:29 »
Beautiful pictures Georgie.  I can almost smell the lily of the valley.  It is the one plant that I have tried to grow in previous houses and never been successful with and yet Shirl is saying "The only problem is it spreads such a lot".  Chance would be a fine thing.    ;D    Mine have all died when I have planted them in Kent, Somerset, Argyle and Hampshire.   Maybe I should try some where I live now.   :-\

Anyone fancy a swap please, a beautiful iris rhizome in return for lily of the valley?   :D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 20:36:14 »
Awww Pauline, you should have said when we were at Wisley.  I'm sure they wouldn't miss a few   ;)

G x

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 22:51:47 »
Pauline You are more than welcome to some of mine. Do I wait to lift them until they have finished flowering? No problem to send you some or if I can lift them just before you come to Kathi's I can drop some down to her for you.
Lorna.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 10:31:22 »
Lorna, that is very kind of you.   Rather than pay for postage it would be good if you could drop them off at Kathi's please.  I don't know when the right time is to lift them.  What colour iris would you like in return? 
Pauline

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 12:07:32 »
Pauline, as I have so many of them I will lift some on 1st June (Friday) and drop them down to Kathi. If they don't work out I can lift some more when they have all finished flowering. There is no need for swap but as I don't have any Iris would be nice to have one. Any colour. Thank you for the offer. Again to save postage would be good for you to bring to Kathi's on one of your visits.
Will PM Kathi to OK the "drop"
Lorna.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 12:16:01 »
Lovely pics!  :) :) :) The Pheasant's Eye are so lovely and your window box is fab!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 17:39:48 »
Pauline, as I have so many of them I will lift some on 1st June (Friday) and drop them down to Kathi. If they don't work out I can lift some more when they have all finished flowering. There is no need for swap but as I don't have any Iris would be nice to have one. Any colour. Thank you for the offer. Again to save postage would be good for you to bring to Kathi's on one of your visits.
Will PM Kathi to OK the "drop"
Lorna.

We will be arriving at Kathi's on 1st June, probably late afternoon/early evening.  It would be lovely to see you again but you may be busy packing at that time.  We could call on you if that is any easier.  I would love to see your garden and may be able to give you some indication as to why the goldfinches are not visiting you.

Pauline

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 21:36:21 »
Hello Pauline. Will be delighted to see you again. Sending PM.
Lorna.

Marian

• Quarter Acre
  • Thank God for my garden !
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 13:37:15 »
Your photographs are wonderful Georgie!  thanks for sharing.  ;) :D

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 09:37:06 »
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT