Author Topic: bottles protecting sweetcorn cobs?  (Read 6698 times)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
bottles protecting sweetcorn cobs?
« on: May 02, 2007, 22:47:47 »
i seem to remember someone saying about a way of protecting sweetcorn cobs with a 2 ltr plastic bottle, can any one remember this? has anyone tried it? i had thought about making net tubes but bottles sound better if it works that is
i don,t think it,s birds because they had a net over i think it,s something running up the stem what do other peeps do?
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: bottles protecting sweetcorn cobs?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 23:22:22 »
We go through loads of 3litre plastic pop bottles. I cut them in half to use as a cloche when finished.

1)Remove the lid permanently from the top half to aid circulation when it is placed over the crop.
2)The bottom half - I tap 8-10 holes in it with a 6" nail for circulation (from the inside to prevent it breaking). Turn it upside down to place over the plant.

They are ideal as a mini-greenhouses and for protection of crops. Ensure it is removed fully just before the leaves touch the sides or they will get burnt. Remove it whilst watering the crop. No need for removal if it rains as the crop will find the rainfall. It also protects from most pests too.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 19:27:07 »
yes they are marvelous as cloches but has anybody put them over the cob as it,s developing to stop furry b***** running up the stem to eat them
i thought of removing the bottom and slitting it right up through the neck and just
slipping it over the cob before it ripens only thing it could get damp if it rains
what do you peeps think
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 14:38:16 »
i thought of removing the bottom and slitting it right up through the neck

The beasties would then just walk up the main stalk and in through the bottle neck would they not. Though it limit damage from other beasties landing directly on it.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 16:03:49 »
i thought of removing the bottom and slitting it right up through the neck

Once you have done that to the little blighters you won't need the bottles any more ...
Always look on the bright side of life

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 16:28:38 »
I tried this last year with great success, it was the first year that I managed to eat my homegrown sweetcorn, every year previous to that the local rat had scoffed them before I had a chance to pick them  >:(

I used them in a similar way to the one you suggest 'theothermarg'.  I use the 2pt milk bottles (I know its not pints now but I can't remember what the equivalent is in ltrs). I don't remove the bottom but cut a slit up through the neck up to where the side meets the bottom.  I pop it over the cob with the bottle neck at the bottom fitting around the base of the cob stalk.  I tie some string around to keep the slit as closed as possible.  I don't put the bottles on until the cobs are fairly big, I had a rough idea of what size they start getting eaten!  Because the bottom of the bottle hasn't been removed it acts like a little umbarella protecting the cob from rain, at least I didn't have any problems with them getting damp last year.

I would definitely recommend it as not one of my cobs was eaten last year.

SP x

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 20:34:58 »
thankyou sweetpea i was afraid that they would go mouldy without the end cut off

the other idea i came up with was a tube of net it def is something going up the stem last year i heard a rustle, found a hole in the ground and beetroot which was next to the cornhad bite fresh bite marks this year war on wee furry beasties
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 22:17:05 »
As soon as your sweetcorn is ripe the rats will visit this is what is meant as bottles

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 22:20:52 »
It sounds like a great idea. Mind you, on my lottie, I bet I'll get lots of comments about growing milk ;D

cj :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal