Author Topic: Runner Beans - Cross Pollination  (Read 1091 times)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
Runner Beans - Cross Pollination
« on: May 01, 2007, 09:46:14 »
thought following might be of interest .....  this is my response to a PM question from someone to whom I have just sent Runner Bean seeds.

They asked "will the different varieties cross-pollinate" and "will the beans be o.k. to eat"

Quote ....
the seeds I sent you are NOT own saved, they are surplus from packets bought Winter 2006/Spring 2007.

Runner Beans easily cross pollinate, from the point of view of growing and eating this is not a problem, but the chances of saving 'pure' seed is very low.

I thought about growing only one variety to preserve purity, but neighbours in the Village also grow R. Beans and the safe distance is something daft like 1/2 or 3/4 mile between varieties.

You might like to try growing them in a 'clump' rather than a row, e.g. a Teepee with say 6 or 8 plants this way you have a good chance of getting 'pure' seed from the pods in the centre.

When the plants begin to flower, keep an eye out for rogues ... e.g. a Red flower on 'White Lady' these will be fine to eat but most certainly will not breed true.

On the plus side, the seeds will grow familiar with your ground and should become healthier year by year. We inherited plants from the previous house owner which are producing great Beans from own saved seed, we have named them 'Margaret'

Hope this helps .... I am no expert but have done a lot of reading on the subject (fascinating stuff  ) and happy to help if I can

good luck
Cheers
Mikey

PS give the seeds a good soaking, 12 hours or overnight before sowing. I sow in pots first then after germination put them in the ground, but NOT before mid/end May in this part of Lincolnshire
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal