Author Topic: Hows your spuds  (Read 5436 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Hows your spuds
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2007, 14:54:27 »
Mine are now getting really big! I planted Roseval reds and Sirtema, in March and also made a spud bin in a big black tub. Those are doing great.
I also had some mystery spuds, left from the last lot owner! I just dug some of those up accidentally while digging over, the plants were small and growing among the weeds, but there were tiny baby potatoes! I steamed them, they were gorgeous. My first crop, and not even my doing ha ha.
The others are now about 30 cm tall, I didn't earth them up but laid a thick layer of straw, they look so neat and pretty now.
I admit that there were a few strays here and there, and in fact I have left them in and let them grow. There is one among the garlic, another among the lettuce and a third with the onions. I figure I will leave them in and just dig them up when I harvest those things, I don't expect they will do much harm to the lettuce. It is a kind of bonus! So I say thank you to teh garden for giving me a few free veg by leaving them in. I am kinda sentimental that way  ;D I also collected all the Johnny Jump Up wild pansy and planted them together in the flower bed, they look great.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2007, 15:55:46 »
Popped to the lottie this morning and it looks like the rain has done a good job (on some things!) out of 50 spuds, 14 have now popped up! The onions are looking really good and we have a nice couple of rows of carrots that are about an inch tall. But the wind has not been favourable for the beans or sweetcorn. And we are still waiting for the onion seed, parsnips, spinach, chard, leeks (I think I may have spotted a single leek, or it could be grass!).
The early pots in the garden are enormous, about 18inches tall!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

dawn34

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2007, 16:08:28 »
yes we've got loads of spuds coming through along with the weeds with all this rain we've had but hey didn't we need it, just got to find the time to cover them with more soil.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal