Author Topic: Zapallito di Toscana  (Read 2301 times)

Chantenay

• Half Acre
Zapallito di Toscana
« on: April 26, 2007, 10:43:39 »
Got some of these seeds at the Ryton Potato Day swap. Does anyone know what I can expect of it? Flavour and longevity especially? How many fruits should I let it grow? Would you sow more of this or more Potimaron? Google will only tell me in languages I can't speak!
Chantenay.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Zapallito di Toscana
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 13:46:30 »
I am a bit conversant in some other languages - they only thing I found relating to a zapallito is a type of summer squash, often found in S. America, it seems to be round, green with a white flesh. But zapallito seems to also be a word used to refer to courgette varieties in Italy. Not sure you will be getting a pumpkin as per se with your seeds  ???
Maybe plant some other types as well, just to be on the safe side :D
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 20:59:20 »
I would agree with antipodes - this is a variety of courgette - so probably the best to treat the same.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 21:15:41 »
It is the Italian equivalent of an eight ball summer squash.XX Jeannien
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 21:50:43 »
Bit like "rond di nice" then Jeannine. From growing these last summer I thought they tasted just a little bit nicer than normal courgettes.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 21:56:23 »
The flesh on Ronde is a wee bit firmer than usual courgettes but I can't be sure the texture is the same on this one,I simply don't know XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 12:06:49 »
Thanks everyone - I am going to be courgetted out again this summer - ah well ::)
Chantenay.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 12:45:57 »
I don't know whether this is good news or not. But on looking up a squash I wanted to grow this year in curcubita maxima group which are winter storage squashes, there was a reference to the zapallito group in this family - and that would make it a winter squash. There wasn't much on the varieties so didn't see reference to "di Tosca", but there were pictures showing a round squash with a greenish skin and orange flesh which looked almost like a hubbard.

Perhaps you won't be weighed down by courgettes again this year!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal