Author Topic: Transplanting celery and other questions!  (Read 1387 times)

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
Transplanting celery and other questions!
« on: April 27, 2007, 14:03:39 »
FIrst time grower of celery here. I've started it off in a seed tray and it's now anything between 5 and 18 cm tall. My question is what next? When I plant it out do I bury it? When I sowed the seeds it said to leave on top of the compost. BTW the seeds are Golden self blanching Aurora.

Next thing, Melons. I have some F1 Sweetheart, will these be alright grown outside? Or should they be in grow bags in the conservatory?

Toms, Vanessa F1. Same question really. Will these be alright outside?

My little problem is that we are going away for two weeks on 14th May and my Bro in law has said he will stay but I'm not sure if he will remember to water or take as much care as me. Would I be better to take my chances outside with maybe a little rain or hope bro in law does his bit. We are in tropical Ipswich if that helps to answer my questions .

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Transplanting celery and other questions!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 16:55:50 »
Not sure about the celery as we have just sown our first ever...
The Melon and Tomato I would do under glass but in "Tropical Ipswich" with the hottest April on record I'd risk them outside... they should get their roots down before you go away... protect from any draughts by knocking up a fleece surround for the Melon
 ;D

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 18:59:47 »
The secret of growing Celery is manure and water. When transplanting you only need to put an inc or two into the  ground and water in. Grow in blocks to assist blanching you can also collar it to get taller plants nip out the side shoots as it grows.  Worst nightmare Slugs and Heart Rot
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 19:20:00 »
we've got the same sort of celery..crash..we've just planted 12 of them in a shallow trench to hold any water that falls, the bottom of the trench has well rotted compost in it

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 13:25:48 »
Thanks for the replies. 1 more night shift then I'll take the celery down to the lottie.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal