Author Topic: A bit down...  (Read 1594 times)

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
A bit down...
« on: April 26, 2007, 09:47:42 »
My poor plot has to fend for itself for a month! The triffids might take over!!! (or at least the bramble)  I'm away for 3 weeks starting Monday, visiting 'home' in Chicago. :) So I was going to spend this week digging and planting like mad. But.... I had a great big crash with a tree out mountain biking on Monday . I'm okay (miraculously) but my back is still quite sore and I can't possibly dig, not big on lifting or bending yet. So another week for the weeds to take over. *sigh*

Tina.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: A bit down...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 09:54:06 »
Keep smiling & just remember, age (?) and guile will outwit all weeds ( and junior colleagues) eventually.

Do rest & look after your back or it will cause you no end of interruptions later on.  Look upon the weeds as a green mulch......
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:00:19 »
Hi Timelady
That's a depressing prospect  :-\

On the upside: In my experience, weeds in this dry weather are as reluctant to emerge as the precious seeds we've sown.

If you can sit down and plant at least a few things or weed around what you already planted, you can leave with the idea that you've done everything in your power.
If you can summon some help, even better. Especially for your back.
Enjoy your trip home.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 10:23:52 »
Just you take care of yourself for the moment Timelady. You have been very lucky and it could have been so much worse. You will catch up when you are better,so don't worry about it.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 10:41:21 »
Tina, don't let it stress you. 

The energy wasted in stressing is not worth it, concentrate on looking after yourself and getting your back better and look forward to your trip and what you can do when you come back. 

Your crash came at the right time (I know there never really is a right time!) as you are going to be away anyway so have time to recover fully to attack your plot afresh.  I am glad you came out of it so well.

Is there anyone who could put down black plastic for you or mulch anything with, say, grass cuttings just to try and keep weeds at bay. although as Garjan says the dry warm weather will help anyway.

Look after yourself and enjoy your trip home.

Take care.  T.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 11:07:17 »
i think i know how you feel as i have been out of action for nearly 6 weeks with a fractured ancle and not been able to do a lot with my plot as i can,t even drive at the moment. been up3 times in the 6 weeks and what is in seems to have coped
without me fussing over it, there are a few weeds but nothing drastic take care and have a good time and remember for the thing you didn,t manage this year theres always next
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 11:11:38 »
As others have said make sure and rest, back trouble can be a lifetime problem if you don't take care (I know from experience). Have a great holiday and don't forget to come back with lots of pics to show us.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 11:28:19 »
Tina - did they not refuse to insure you after a previous similar 'event'?

And you continued??

Poor Girl - stick to digging!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 12:00:29 »
i think i know how you feel as i have been out of action for nearly 6 weeks with a fractured ancle and not been able to do a lot with my plot as i can,t even drive at the moment. been up3 times in the 6 weeks and what is in seems to have coped
without me fussing over it, there are a few weeds but nothing drastic take care and have a good time and remember for the thing you didn,t manage this year theres always next
marg

Beautifully put!
Don't worry, use your time away to recuperate in time for the next tree that decides to jump out at you!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 18:23:13 »
Oh, fractured ankle! That's much worse! I feel for you. :( At least I'm not stuck really, and the pain is slowly going so the inflammation must be going down. Chiropractor gave me the all-clear and checked everything, there's just one vertebrae that's very sensitive but nothing's dislocated or anything. And it made me do my accounting yesterday since I just had to sit all day. ;)

Unfortunately I can only get to the plot on the bike and there's not much else to be done without digging anyway. I did a lot of planting last week and covered the bramble with black covery thing. So I'll just have to help for the best! 4 weeks rather than 3 isn't that much, it's just frustrating not to have that last blast at it.

As I said on my art group, considering 48 hours ago I was lying on the ground thinking my shoulder must be in pieces I can't really complain too much eh? :)

Tina.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 19:57:22 »
got to keep positive   got to keep positive  got to keep positive aaaaaaaaaaaah
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 20:32:41 »
It probably wont be as bad as you expect, Tina. Look after your back and have a great hols- try not to even think about it- it will all get done eventually. ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 20:36:27 »
Look at it this way, at the end of the year the weeds that grow now will be history, you go and enjoy your holiday and if you are coming back light I have run out of Shake n Bake!!! Have fun , sorry to hear you have an oweeee,take careXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 20:55:08 »
Tina, so sorry to hear about your accident i do wish you well, take care of your back & have a wonderfull holiday back home   Rosebud.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 08:26:35 »
Tina - so sorry to hear about your accident but so pleased it wasn't as bad as it might have been. Weeds will come and weeds will go but you only have one spine and that has to last you a lifetime - cherish it! As the 'owner' of a fractured spine, I know what I'm talking about! ;). Take it very easy, have a wonderful holiday and you'll come back fighting fit  :) :-*

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal