Author Topic: aubergines  (Read 5525 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
aubergines
« on: April 19, 2007, 18:29:32 »
I need some advice  concerning aubergines. I have managed to get them to potting on size so I dont want to kill them. Are there any specific do's and dont's when growing them
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
Re: aubergines
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 20:44:22 »
As always TeeGee's site

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Aubergine/Aubergine.htm

Best info  ;)

I have two in the unheated greenhouse just now, seem fine but put some fleece over them at night.  The other two in the house are getting pretty big so need to move them soon.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 06:37:08 »
Great info, I agree.  But I must query 2 points:

1. Surely, TG, 20-25F is nearer the norm for germination?
2. I do NOT agree with limiting production if indoors. I know that this has been quoted often, but we get 20-30 fruit (of the slimmer varieties) on a plant. Given the amount of room that they take up, I wouldn't grow them for 4.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 06:39:44 by tim »

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 06:44:42 »
Just been to check, I've got 15 !!!!  Oh lordy, yet another miscalculation on the germination front.

They're all still sitting inside my patio doors and not one of them looks like keeling over !

Moussaka anyone ??

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 08:11:44 »
many thanks to you for the info
                             I want em saying

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 17:13:39 »
Great info, I agree.  But I must query 2 points:

Only for Siberian Special Tim ;D

Sorry couldn`t resist

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 17:25:27 »
Must get modern!!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 18:46:32 »

2. I do NOT agree with limiting production if indoors. I know that this has been quoted often, but we get 20-30 fruit (of the slimmer varieties) on a plant. Given the amount of room that they take up, I wouldn't grow them for 4.

[/quote

] 
I agree Tim, I have never followed the packet instructions to restrict the number & just let them produce as many as they like & the year before last I had loads - not many last year though.  Never restrict my tomatoes either.  Very liberal household this!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 11:56:08 »

On the one hand I agree with you Tim but on the other not.

At the lower temperatures they may take a little longer to germinate but the point I am making is...........that you can germinate them at lower temperatures which must help those people who think they would otherwise be unable to germinate them if they can't maintain the higher temperatures as you state.

So its another one of those vagueries of gardening that is;  it is an either / or situation.

Again it is an either or situation if you want   really large fruits then restriction is the answer, but if you are happy with lots of small fruits then don't restrict.

By the way thanks for the comments it proves that people read my website which after all is based on my experience and preferences but that is not to say it is the bee all and end all of growing a particular subject.

All I hope for is that those that follow my preachings will get a relative degree of success, it is also good feedback and allows me to change my views if I so decide..............thanks!!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 13:45:51 »
1. Accepted. Sorry about the F/C error.

2. Large fruit? You mean large fruiting varieties? Accepted. But even then 4 fruit for all that space & TLC?? We grow our slimmer ones to the maximum size before the seeds get woody. They can only go that far.

And even slim, they are not tiny?

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 14:07:19 »
They are something to aspire to...

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 17:12:43 »
Aubergines come in all sizes-nobody can say how many fruit. For the big ones that weigh in at over a pound or 500g in new money 4-6 fruit is going to repay the time and effort compared to buying rubbish from Holland-and they taste like aubergines.

Aubies like Thai Green will give many more.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 18:56:48 »
I am growing some named "Diamond" from Real Seeds. Has anyone tried them.
                             I want em saying

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 19:01:18 »
Tee Gee I love your site & use it all the time - just meant I let my aubies do their own thing, didn't mean to be disparaging about your advice.  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 20:18:55 »
Tee Gee I love your site & use it all the time - just meant I let my aubies do their own thing, didn't mean to be disparaging about your advice

No offence taken.

I only grow black 'Moneymaker' and to tell you the truth I wasn't aware of all those odd shaped varieties that Tim kindly displayed, hence my opinion.

The 'size thing' dates back to my exhibition days when everything had to be BIG!!

Plus if they are large they are easier to stuff!

So in many respects my website could be misleading, I will make a note of that for when I do my annual reviews next winter.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 07:58:31 »
Agree about stuffing - or Involtini - the one shortcoming of Thai Green etc. But they are SO much meatier!

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 08:41:40 »
Shirlton - I grew Diamond from Realseeds for the past 2 years - and was very impressed - they produced much more than any other Aubergine I've tried. Very nice. I've been seduced by a striped violet one this year though!  ::)

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 12:28:49 »
Tim used the word `meatier`-I must recommend Rosa Bianca-it had a longer Italian name when I first bought the seeds in Italy. But now the same or something similar is available here.

Huge fruit varying from purple with stripes to almost ivory-really meaty and they crop outside here on the Lincs/Cambs border-not soft and pappy like those sold in supermarkets

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 12:57:53 »
Anyone grown "Mini Bambino" from Alan Roman seeds?

Just wondered if they were any good. 

http://www.alanromans.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=540&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=96

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 23:06:59 »
Cleo I am growing Rosa Bianca,also  Enorma, Ping Tung and Cambodian Giant And Titty Fruit. But Cleo Thai  Green,  do you mean Thai Long Green,Thai Green Egg  or Thai Green Pea, they really are  are  the size of green peas so you get loads on one plant !!!! Pretty hard to stuff though eh? XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 23:11:08 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal