Author Topic: How's your rhubarb  (Read 8584 times)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
Re: How's your rhubarb
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 14:02:05 »
I planted my first crown just over a week ago, and like goldendaisy123 says, my leaves seem to have a few holes appeared in them and one has gone very yellow. New ones are comign through though I don't seem to have killed it...

Assuming it needs a bit of a 'feed' what should I use? Very new at all this so if you can be specific about what and where to get it that'd be good... otherwise I tend to just use 'multi purpose compost' which I'm guessing is a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none.

Ta muchly :)
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2007, 14:43:43 »
It's fairly difficult to kill rhubarb. Have you watered it in well? It's been very dry. I think I'd give it a couple of cans of water and then cover with something like straw or rotted horse manure; whatever you can get, but preferably something bulky, rather than potting compost. Let the leaves show through, but pack the stuff all round it. You can't actually pull any until this time next year.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2007, 17:08:31 »
hi all,  :)

Like others here I gave my oldest crown a covering of horse muck a few weeks ago, nothing happened for a while but in the last three weeks its grown stems as big as my wrist. I`m eating crumble every day and giving loads away.

It does have a little slug damage but nothing to worry over.

Its grown from a sad peice barely bigger than my thumb that I discovered when I first got the plot, it had one tiny leaf to identify it as rhubarb.

I`ve also got last years splits of crowns from other plot holders coming along in other places to secure future harvests.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2007, 08:00:12 »
yes we are having another crumble this evening v nice

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2007, 08:39:46 »
Pulled some of the main crop yesterday to make a batch of Rhubarb & Ginger Jam. Nice job for a rainy day!

dawn34

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2007, 17:31:42 »
we have 5 lots of rhubarb it has really started to grow the last week or so have been watering them and the leaves are enormous now and really thick stems, these where left on our plot when we took it over no idea what kind but hubby enjoys it and so do the neighbours and friends me i can't stand the stuff.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2007, 17:52:37 »
I planted my first crown just over a week ago, and like goldendaisy123 says, my leaves seem to have a few holes appeared in them and one has gone very yellow. New ones are comign through though I don't seem to have killed it...

Assuming it needs a bit of a 'feed' what should I use? Very new at all this so if you can be specific about what and where to get it that'd be good... otherwise I tend to just use 'multi purpose compost' which I'm guessing is a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none.

Ta muchly :)

As long as you had some compost at least under the crown. Manure would be better but chicken pellets are brilliant just chucked on top and watered in as they're pretty acidic.

Apparently urine is good chucked on your rhubarb (I know it is).  :P

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2007, 18:57:20 »
hmm urine havent tried that one.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2007, 19:05:47 »
I've just bottled last year's rhubarb wine to make room for the next batch. The rhubarb is glorious and far too much for us but other lottie holders know to help themselves. I can only cope with so much crumble but I make rhubarb and ginger jam which goes down well with the troops! ;) and lasts for ever.  I give the rhubarb a good shovelful of manure in springtime as it starts growing and water occasionally with "comfrey soup" or "nettle soup" during the season.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2007, 21:20:44 »
I give them some fertiliser from the pee barrel now and then; they thrive on it.

Joe11

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2007, 21:26:42 »
What do you guys recon could be up with my little plant, it has purple patches over its one leaf??

Joe

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2007, 21:29:41 »
Mine's rubbish, keeps flagging on me! Posted this on another thread.
Moved it last November and it seemed OK ish, someone said put a collar of manure around it, then fellow plotholder said "it's planted too deep, crowns need to be above the level of the ground, just lift it, back fill and it'll be better than ever".  Another fellow plotholder said to me today "I watered your rhubarb today cos it looked so sad for itself".   

Looked OK at the weekend then has flagged again on me with lots of little holes in the leaves.  Victoria isn't living up to her name, any help!
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2007, 21:48:10 »
When was it planted?

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2007, 22:00:35 »
I removed it from it's old position about Feb time, frosted it above ground for a week or so then replanted in it's new position.
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2007, 23:43:46 »
My rhubarb is amazing! It has really come on so much. The only trouble is that because of the weather conditions, mainly lack of rain I think,some have started to go to seed. This has never happened so early in the season, and it is usually July or August this happens. Any one else have this problem?  ??? busy_lizzie 
live your days not count your years

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 07:29:21 »
Yes, I pulled a flower off at the weekend. It's going to be a weird season.

goldendaisy123

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2007, 08:22:58 »
My rhubarb is exectly the same Ninnyscrops. >:( Lots of little holes and seeming limp. I just don't know whats wrong. I've fed it given it manure lots of water but it's not a well bunny!

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2007, 20:33:03 »
We forced our 2 year old Victoria rhubarb crown this year for the first time.  Plonked a load of rotten horse muck around the crown and covered it with an unpturned black dustbin about a month ago.

Today we picked our first stalks, very large and fat ones too, leaving plenty behind and some new shoots showing through.  We're very impressed.

What we need to know is what happens next?  How long can we continue to force it for and what do we do when it slows down?

Stewed rhubarb and fresh cream, mmmmmmmmm.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2007, 20:41:24 »
I have never forced my rhubarb, on second picking this season, and loads waiting ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2007, 20:46:04 »
But forced rhubarb is so gorgeous.  Far superior to the rhubarb grown without a little 'help'.

Just the way it's grown in the Yorkshire triangle.

Not that I don't like it however it's grown, I just want to have my cake and eat it!

Sand :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal