Author Topic: How's your rhubarb  (Read 8494 times)

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
How's your rhubarb
« on: April 19, 2007, 17:03:58 »
We have just picked our firstb rhubarb this week how is yours same worse better.

whats yours up to, here is a picture of ours

Raging Rhubarb

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: How's your rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 17:12:32 »
looks good.

Mine is ok, i noticed that on 2 of the crowns i have this weird stem forming which has a pink head i think this is seed stalks do you know?

##
Q: I have rhubarb question for you. Is it possible to successfully plant the seed of rhubarb plants? (Dickinson, N.D.)

A: It should work, but I have never tried it. My references tell me the seeds should be planted a month before the last frost. Plant the seeds two inches apart, a half inch deep and hand firm the soil. Thin the seedlings so they are a foot apart. It takes 90-100 days for the plants to mature. The reference book says it is best if the seeded rhubarb is treated like an annual crop, as the plants that are allowed to go into their second year tend to bolt to seed stalks quickly. Plants that develop seed stalks directly, as the new leaves grow, should be culled out. I would suggest, for the sake of experimentation, the seed be placed in a refrigerator crisper for about 30 days. Then go through the planting schedule to see if the seeds germinate with that short a cold treatment. Leave some seed behind for another 30 days. Hope this helps!
##

mine are in there 2nd year.

Cambourne7
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 17:15:36 by cambourne7 »

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 17:14:42 »
Mine's looking a bit poxy actually  ::) Is there anything I can feed it with at this time of year to revive it?
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 17:15:20 »
About a week away from the first harvest here-Cambourne-that sounds like a seed head,just pull it out

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 17:16:17 »
thanks cleo I will pull it tonight before i water :-)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 17:18:11 »
I've never seen a rhubarb seed .....

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 17:19:20 »
it looks a little rude  ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 17:20:55 »
Covers her eyes  8)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 17:37:23 »
Cor That looks smashing -  I had to move mine this year & it seems to have survived but the new growth is very thin & weedy so I shall leave it to recover - so no crumbles this year.  :(

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 17:42:56 »
yup seeds look a little like parsnip seed but bigger, the seed stalk itself is a little rude, if its looking a little down give it a good mulch of rotted manure or pot ash that should perk it up, but if you have thin stems then best to leave for this year

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 17:43:30 »
First harvest of rhubarb was on Tuesday. Plenty of good cherry-red sticks and around half a dozen flowers. Expecting a bumper harvest in a couple of weeks.

Tuesday also saw the first asparagus of the year. Four spears cut, cooked and eaten - with another six expected at the weekend.

What a strange world! Harvesting already and still haven't got the spuds in!
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 17:45:59 »
agreed, i might pull a few sticks of rhubarb myself while i am at it.

I am told that if you boil it with an apple it does not need any extra suger.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 17:49:19 »
I have been pulling rhubarb for about 10 days and it is looking and tasting great.  Wish we could have a good downpour though to really make it race away.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 17:52:50 »
Mines looking a bit short and stumpy.....lack of rain?

:(

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 18:03:27 »
We've just picked the first few stalks.  We planted quite a few new crowns late last year, and mostly they're looking good, but obviously we won't be picking them this year.  The only failures were the 6 crowns I bought from Thompson & Morgan early last year, but only one of those survived!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 20:03:27 »
Sorry to boast, but we first picked ours on February 24th. It's on its last legs now, but the main crop's coming on well.

Nothing to do with me, I should add. We inherited it. I assume it's Timperley Early. But it obviously loves the site. We've passed quite a few offshoots around.

powerspade

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 20:12:18 »
With regards to Rhubarb from seed, yes it is possible. I sowed some 2 years ago and they are doing well at the moment, the only draw back is that I cannot pull any sticks until they are 3 years old

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 20:22:17 »
also been picking for about 10 days,

gave it and the globe artichokes a good water yesterday as they were wilting,/ shades x

grow your own way

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 20:39:11 »
 Some of ours is early too, we have been using it for about three weeks. Seed pods are popping up  but I take them off. Other one still comong, not enough for the kids in my cookery class today, they wanted to make crumble bless em. Next week.

Cambourne, try microwaving rather than boiling, and you don't need to add any fluid apart from a teaspoon full maybe...or a wee bit if white wine XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 20:47:43 »
thanks Jeannine i will try.

My crowns from seed are 2 years old so I am not supposed to take any this year, but i will experiment with one crown by taking a little and see what happens. Afterall i do have 4 crowns which is far 2 much.

And that said i am sowing another seed this year for someone else so if i lose one i just grow 2 :-)

Cambourne7

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal