Author Topic: How's your rhubarb  (Read 8493 times)

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
Re: How's your rhubarb
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 13:11:48 »
yeah pick a little and taste just dont take too much

Rohaise

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 18:31:05 »
 I have just picked a bumper bundle that I had forced under a new compost bin (it came free with a water butt I had ordered and I already have and prefer a nice big open heap )   it worked brilliantly !    :D  Great long thick sticks of crimson rhubarb , which some I will give away ,some for rhubarb and custard  tonight and the rest to chop and fast freeze .      NOW THEN ...how do I treat the now almost exhausted rhubarb clump. It still has lots of leaves coming but very thin ?     Thankyou Rohaise     :)

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 07:54:37 »
I inherited 5 rhubarb plants with the allotment. 2 I covered and the other three, left them alone. I am not sure when I should pick them for eating, can you tell by the look of them, If so, how should they look??

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 09:28:00 »
Can't beat the taste of the early pickings - we have had a couple of crumbles already
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 15:04:46 »
put a piccy on and we can can help decide

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 16:06:46 »
Just had my first Dustbin forced Rhubarb of the season. Long red stems chopped into 3 inch lengths and poached gently in Ginger wine....served with whipped double cream....bloody gorgeous ...Dinger... :P ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007, 16:13:36 »
I have just taken the seed heads from the rhubarb and i will give the plants a couple of weeks to recover before i pull any.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2007, 16:19:51 »
Planted as crown this year so small leaves, but very pretty and looking hopeful for next year. They were mulched with well rotted manure and shredded paper.

Do the tops of the crown need to be exposed?  I've seen some exposed and some well buried.  I buried mine.... ???

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007, 16:24:54 »
We have been picking ours for about a month - it is an early variety, but planted it about 20yrs ago and have forgotten what it is. Love the idea of poaching it in ginger wine, Dingerbell.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007, 21:06:32 »
Planted as crown this year so small leaves, but very pretty and looking hopeful for next year. They were mulched with well rotted manure and shredded paper.

Do the tops of the crown need to be exposed?  I've seen some exposed and some well buried.  I buried mine.... ???

No need to worry. Some of mine have been well buried, some, where I didn't get the hole deep enough, have been well clear of the surface. It makes no difference at all.

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2007, 21:54:45 »
Picked our first stems at the Lottie today (very old crowns which we inherited) absolute mass of stems, has shot up over last few days.

Had some this evening with Custard .... wonderful
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

okra

• Hectare
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2007, 09:37:56 »
don't know what variety we have got, it was on the lottie whwn we took over in 1991, but it tastes terrific and goes on producing every year. I have only split the crowns twice I think

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2007, 17:41:17 »
I have about 15 plants dotted around the lottie, which I inherited.  The are hardly growing at all, only had enough for two tiny crumbles - should I water them ?  The bindweed will be higher than them in a week or so.

okra

• Hectare
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2007, 17:45:12 »
I have not watered but mulched with strawy manure and it seems to have done the trick but could do with rain - maybe wednesday according to the Beeb

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2007, 19:31:09 »
I had a couple of rhubarb crowns which never did anything, and I finally got rid of them over the winter. The rest is shooting up, and I just took the first flower off today. I'll nip down after school one day during the week and get some for a crumble.

Mc55, try giving it loads of organic matter - I mean loads - and see how it responds. If it's no good by next year, root it out and replace it.

goldendaisy123

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2007, 19:51:49 »
Does Rhubarb suffer from pests? I planted some rhubarb about 4 weeks ago, but is not doing very well. The new leaves look very holey as though something is eating them and they are going yellow at the edges and the leaves seem limp. Is there any hope fo it? Any suggestions please? Thanks

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2007, 19:59:06 »
It sounds as though it's a bit weak; there's very little that eats them due to the amount of oxalic acid in the leaves. Try watering and giving it some manure or fertiliser.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2007, 20:23:21 »
My new ones have been attacked by slugs & also have little holes in the leaves.  I resorted to a few pellets a couple of weeks back & they haven't been touched since.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 07:37:53 »
I covered our main-crop rhubarb (4 plants) several weeks again (before there was any sign of life) with 2 huge barrow-loads of strawy horse manure. It's ready to start picking now, with stalks as thick as my arm!

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 08:03:08 »
i would split the crowns every 5 years and each year give it a barrow of manure to perk it up, then you will also enjoy the wonderful red and green stuff.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal