Author Topic: Doing a sweep on squash varieties being grown  (Read 20842 times)

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
    • RSPB Shropshire Local Group - Southern branch
Re: Doing a sweep on squash varieties being grown
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 09:14:23 »
Only growing pink bananas but they're already enormous (on an unheated bedroom windowsill) and have little flower buds on them - help!!  :o

Should I pinch these out?

Sorry slightly off-topic.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 09:16:54 »
Oh are we listing cukes and melons too? In that case  ;D:
Cucumber Tasty Burpless Green F1
Cucumber Marketmore
Melon 'Petit Gris de Rennes'

Maybe next year we should organise a CUCURBITS ONLY PASS THE PARCEL?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 09:24:28 »
Oh OH OH!!! Saw someone say they were growing Queensland Blue pumpkin!! That is the variety grown where I come from in Oz! It is delicious and produces huge blue-grey fruits with a yellow flesh. Excellent for roasting and mashing! And of course for making excellent Queensland Pumpkin scones!
I don't suppose anyone would have a couple of seeds of that to part with? I live in France so I couldn't send an SAE but maybe I could swap a few french seeds? I am just starting so I couldn't offer much but I still have quite a few French Paris gherkin seeds, mmm what else, Brussel sprouts, as the packet has zillions and I only want about 10, or you could ask for a French variety of something I know we have excellent veg here.
Have to post my pumpkin scone recipe maybe? or my sister's secret Pumpkin fruitcake, which is gorgeous.
I'll get my email address on my profile if anyone is interested in proliferating Aussie pumpkins on the continent ;)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 09:30:39 »
antipodes, have e-mailed you!

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2007, 09:38:33 »
Oh OH OH!!! Saw someone say they were growing Queensland Blue pumpkin!! That is the variety grown where I come from in Oz! It is delicious and produces huge blue-grey fruits with a yellow flesh.

Hi Ive got a few QB left but mine havent germinated yet (only put them in a couple of days ago) I sent some to Jeannine and put some in a pass the parcel. (some to go in the red pass the parcel when it gets to me)

Jeannine have yours germinated yet?
Has anyone planted them from the PTP and got them to germinate?

Glow

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2007, 11:55:08 »
Are Uchiki Kuri and Red Kuri the same thing  ???

Erm, not sure, I think so  ???
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2007, 12:17:43 »
Hi Glow 777 - there were none in the red parcel when I got it - but then I was about the 2nd or 3rd person to get it.

My list of squash, pumpkin and cucumbers (only planted last night) are:

Courgettes :
First Sowing : 16/4

green bush
Jemmer
De Nice a Fruit Ronde

Second Sowing 16/5

Courgette, Defender F1
Courgette, Dundoo
Courgette, Tondo Chiaro Di Nizza (round)
Courgette, Zucchini Italian striped

Squash/Pumpkin :

Early Butternut
Pottimarron
Early Summer Crookneck
Rolet Gem Squash
Green Hubbard Squash
White Custard
Squash, Cherimoya, Custard Apple

Cucumbers :

Tasty King
Marketmore

Melon's:

Melon 'Petit Gris de Rennes'
“Ananas d’ Amerique a Chair Verte” 
Minnesota Midget
Zatta (sim. To Brattoma Buana) - for curiousity - it looks ugly from Red Parcel

As much as I would love to plant more I don't have any more space as I only have 5 rods of lottie.  Already going to be using the 3 sisters and growing watermelon on my poop head compost bin.  Alto I think I have already got too many - I'm gonna be wall to wall....

Jitterbug

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 12:20:31 by Jitterbug »
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2007, 12:27:17 »
Here's mine:-
Courgette:-
Kojac
de Nice a Fruit Rond
Orelia
Jemmer
Zucchini

Squash
Butternut

and one unknown type too.  I think I might take on another half plot to try all these wonderful varieties!  (Glad to see there are so many other raving fanatics out there, I have been really restrained this year as my OH suddenly decides he doesn't like courgettes when I start bringing armfuls into the kitchen!)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2007, 13:16:35 »
For those who asked: I posted my pumpkin scone recipe
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,30468.0
Hope you like them, they are quite tasty I find. They keep a bit longer than normal scones but not very much, if you keep them tightly covered.
You can glaze them with a bit of milk before cooking if you like that, I often forget to.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

gibbygib

• Not So New ...
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2007, 13:46:36 »
Courgettes in pots at home and Cobnut from Johnsons seeds.  Are cobnut the same as butternut squash more or less?

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2007, 16:23:08 »
To date
Tancheese
Marina di Chioggia
Uchiki-Kuri
White custard
Turks Turban
Romanesco
Carpet Bag (squash)
But there will be others!

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2007, 16:29:01 »
Are cobnut the same as butternut squash more or less?
Yep

Squash F1 Cobnut Seeds
The earliest maturing butternut-type Squash available, producing a good crop of full-flavoured fruits (each up to 1kg in weight) that are excellent roasted.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2007, 17:37:51 »
Glow, my Queenie Blues have germinated, they are up to about 8 inches now,thank you again you saved my life there!!

Antipodes,you must know Japs too,I get these direct from a friend in Oz.

I am really pleased I started this one, I really think we do need a squash swap  next time. I think it is smashing to see all these listed.WOW...keep then coming

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2007, 18:32:49 »
I feel my list will be a little boring but this is the one I like to eat so this is the one I grow, however instead of getting my seeds from a supermarket bought one  like last year I've decided on uniformity this year. i may use some of my saved seeds but neighbouring allotmenteers were growing orange 'halloween' and butternuts so my saved seed maybe a nasty cross.
Kaboucha squash are my favourite (still eating last seasons harvest! as seen in pic) but I'm growing Kaboucha 'sweet mama' this year.

Bye the way I found I could plant 3 plants close together on the same manure heap but spaced the groups of three 6 feet apart.

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2007, 18:37:21 »
Glow, my Queenie Blues have germinated, they are up to about 8 inches now,thank you again you saved my life there!!

maybe not - i think you my of had plenty of other squashes to keep you going!

something murmering in my pots today as the soil is starting to lift

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2007, 18:38:43 »
Glow you saved my life beacuse I like this one and I had run out, I had ordered but they back ordered on me,they still haven't come XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2007, 19:08:04 »
Buttercup from SS, burgess buttercup from Real seeds.pattipan, Butternut and of course some courgette
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2007, 09:49:15 »
Oh yes I know what a Jap pumpkin is! A smaller dark green one with yellow flecks. They are tasty too, especially for roasting or for soup. Someone here has kindly offered to send me some Qld Blue seeds so I can have a little taste of Australia in my garden. So nice! Hope they grow. #
Can't believe now that I hadn't thought of growing pumpkins for the autumn/winter period! In fact they will probably be very useful in my quest to plant as much as possible in order to take as much space from the weeds as possible.
IS it possible to grow pumpkins upwards? On a trellis or fence? Or are they too heavy?

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2007, 10:39:04 »
IS it possible to grow pumpkins upwards? On a trellis or fence? Or are they too heavy?
My QB's grew upwards OK last year. It wasnt intential they just took over everything including the side of my shed and hen house. It looked as though the stem thickened up to support the weight as the squash on the ground didnt have as thick a stem

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2007, 12:36:39 »
hopefully

cornell's bush delicata
blue ballet
buttercup
sweet dumpling
sugar loaf delicata
red kuri