Author Topic: What's the strangest thing you have ever dug up on your allotment?  (Read 5272 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
I've just been on a trip to our local 'Recycling Centre' as our city dump is so grandly called these days, with six large bucket loads of various types of rubbish from the lottie.

This trip, we took:

2 tubs of hardcore (broken bricks, lumps of concrete dug up around the new rhubarb patch)

Several metal objects (lumps of molten aluminium from previous fires I guess)

A set of bathroom taps and a tub of broken bathroom tiles (all dug up underneath old compost bin)

A car exhaust- no sign of the rest of the car (or perhaps we haven't dug deeply enough yet!)

A bag full of filthy plastic bags, black bin liners, gravel bags and bits of nylon mesh (all found buried in a pile)

A bucket of broken glass, old medicine bottles, several disposable razors (dug up from beneath old shed)

I've tried hard to reuse anything we've found if possible on the plot, but it seems a lot of it is just other peoples buried rubbish! I think the two ironing boards we discovered when we first started clearing the plot are the oddest things we have found so far, but what have other people found, anything interesting?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
Nothing so extensive but found a 1937 threepenny bit last week

Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

markfield rover

• Hectare
I have found a number of GWR brass jacket buttons
bound to be a romantic story as to how they got there
some 'brief encounter'!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Just the bone, the same week that human ones were found on a lottie in Peterborogh, that really freaked me till someone looked at my picture and said it was from a cows spine not a humans. was I ever relieved XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
an egg (hen), enough screws & nails to fill a hardware shop, glass, whole bricks, 6ft long concrete fence posts (?) and bones - presumably small mamals, not the previous owner and a nest of baby voles !!!  At the moment I'm digging up a carpet which is buried under 5" of compacted, weed infested earth - nice.

Next door dug up a rat at the w/e  :-X :-X presumably the fox is using his lottie as his personal larder.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
a little rusty trowel that Ray put a new handle n and he cleaned it up, just right for me..
an old, really old fashioned shed key..very rusty
so many carpets I think there was someone's front room under there,
the side of a tin shed, laying on the ground
the diggy bit from the thing they dig the roads up with   :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
An old key, a dolls house size noddy tea plate, carpet and black plastic, newts and a next of moles!

Vegemite

• Quarter Acre
  • Just got my first plot!
noddy plate- wow that would be pirate treasure to my daughter!

we know a bloke who buried loads of coins then the following week asked his kid to help him dig up the garden- and told him it was pirate treasure when he found it! the kid is now grown up and very unhappy with his dad- everytime someone needed help in his garden the kid was there with his spade expecting to find treasure!!
Allotment Virgin!
Thirty-something Mum of one just taken on an allotment needing lots of work after a twelve month wait. Let the fun begin!

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
enough glass for a greenhouse, the metal things that hold windows open. enough nails to hold the greenhouse together, ciggie packets, carrier bags, carpets, foam and today found some of that silver insulation foil that goes behind radiators.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Mark Gratton on plot 120 opposite DebP found a wedding ring, his that he had lost three years earlier when digging the Lottie.... he has two now!
 ;D

Wicker

• Hectare
Re: What's the strangest thing you have ever dug up on your allotment?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 23:35:07 »
Usual bits of broken crockery, bones and enormous nails but the luckiest finds were two very badly corroded keys which Mr W spent weeks cleaning and which turned out to fit (a) the shed and (b) the allotment site gate so we have a set each ;)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 23:42:30 »
I am hoping that one day one of my opal earings turns up on the plot next to mine.  As I was walking along the path a couple of weeks back, the wind blew and the netting whipped up around my earing and wripped it clean out!  I cried!!  I love opals, my fave stone ever and my love had bought me these when we were on hols on the Isle of Wight.  Someones treasure one day.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 23:47:57 »
I am hoping that one day one of my opal earings turns up on the plot next to mine.  As I was walking along the path a couple of weeks back, the wind blew and the netting whipped up around my earing and wripped it clean out!  I cried!!  I love opals, my fave stone ever and my love had bought me these when we were on hols on the Isle of Wight.  Someones treasure one day.

Oh no! I love opals too, cried like baby when I lost a black opal earring that OH had bought me on honeymoon... :'(
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 00:01:28 »
Aaw! Hope you find your opal ear ring soon EJ. I am always burying my small tools, and just recently dug up a rusty old pair of secataurs, that I lost last year on the plot.

We have found loads of bones, including a big jaw bone and a shoulder blade, possibly a dog, at least hoping that, and not something human. Lots of clay pipe bits and small pieces of pottery. busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

MacArthur Park

• Quarter Acre
  • Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 00:58:49 »
An old sixpence and a very rusty flat iron!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 06:58:49 »
A George II shilling & clay pipes, clay pipes & clay pipes!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 07:09:54 »
In plot 1, we tried to move the rusting metal compost bin and it turned out to be half of a Morrison shelter!

Then we took over plot 2 (next-door-but-one) which had enough debris on it to keep Steptoe & Son busy for months. And guess what the compost bin was? The other half of the Morrison shelter!! It was sunk so deep into the ground that I think I might turn the hole into a pond!

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 07:12:49 »
What's the strangest thing you have ever dug up on your allotment?
my foot - with a badly time swing of the spade didnt half hurt

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 11:17:33 »
Bits of shrapnel from the Blitz, and decaying fragments of an Anderson shelter. The shelter wasn't usable as it flooded (not surprising next to a stream), so they ended up dossing in the shed for a while.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 11:29:58 »
The first year on my first allotment, it was vegetables. I done everything wrong and the nieghbours were amazed that I had a crop at all.

E.J. Claim on your insurance, but don't tell them you purchased them on th I.W.  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal