Author Topic: Need Lettuce pest advice  (Read 2844 times)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Need Lettuce pest advice
« on: April 12, 2007, 17:07:36 »
My 5 year old daughter would like to grow some vegetables including lettuce. I've never grown this before. Got GW magazine yesterday because it had free salad seeds with it which consist of mixed salad leaves, tomatoes and chives.

What I would like to know is what pests and diseases affect lettuce?

Nearly posted this in the edibles  ::)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Re: Need Lettuce pest advice
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 20:15:48 »
Anyone?  ???

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 20:34:01 »
Botrytus if they are allowed to get too wet but this is rare!!

Slugs & Snails and very early in the season pigeons.

Other than that I would say they are ideal for a child to grow.

Sow the seeds very thinly then thin out the plants to individual plants about 6"-8" apart.

http://tinyurl.com/2sb2wt

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 20:40:52 »
if you're too worried about slugs and stuff, which can be a real nuisance, plant them in pots or troughs, smear vaseline around the edge, it's supposed to stop them or cover them with cut off pop bottles until they're big enough to look after themselves, I think your daughter will love it, my grandson does  ;D

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 20:41:45 »
Hi TSpotL,

obviously Slugs, especially when they're little; maybe some aphids, including root aphids if the weather is very dry. There are other pests but i've not had problems. Maybe botrytis if it's wet. The other problem is going to seed, but lettuce should be no trouble

why not try radish, i  bet a lot of us started as kids with radish (and sold them to our mother)

RT

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 21:29:39 »
Thankyou for all the answers everyone  :)

TeeGee, what can be done about the pigeons? got loads around here. Had a feeling they might be troublesome where lettuce is concerned  >:(

Manicscoursers, I use the vaseline trick with seedlings that I'm growing on in my mini greenhouse and it works  ;)

Rhubarb, tried radish last year, she didn't like 'em  :( They were to nippy for her .Know any good really mild ones?

Thought of growing lettuce and tomato in a growbag and putting a thick smear of vaseline round the edge of the planting holes?

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 08:32:41 »
just thinking that radishes were quick  to grow. I know that's important, as I also have the patience of a 5 year old.....Radishes are mildest when sown early or for the autumn
I started out as a child growing wild strawberries, but that's against the law now...

RT

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 12:56:18 »
Surprisingly, my 5 year old has lots of patience. At least she does with things that grow.

The Lettuce seeds are a mixture of cut and come again types which, according to the instructions, should be ready in about 4 weeks for the young leaves.

It's really just the Toms and carrots she'll need to wait for, although I'm not sure how long before the chives are ready.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 16:43:01 »
The old faithful .........fleece!! or proper bird netting!

I would go for fleece it is more versatile!

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 17:16:45 »
Thanks Tee Gee  ;D

Got bird netting already I think. Used it to grow sweetpeas up my garden arch. It's quite fine but strong  so I might try that or it gives  me a good excuse to go to homebase tonight. BF won't be chuffed though  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 21:56:07 »
Never had the pigeons go for lettuce... brassicas now that's another thing.. chives are a great starter as you can eat them at any size... If you want to try a turnip like snowball ... being brassicas they germinate and grow quickly and can be eaten at golf ball size... like radish but without the heat... just a good crunch..
 :)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 21:23:44 »
Agree with Saddad pigeons will not go for lettuce for some reason got a feeling it might be something to do with the sap that is in the leaves of the lettuce, but do not quote me on that
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 21:31:11 »
Never had my lettuce attacked by pigeons either & we get loads in the garden.  Another idea your little one might like is courgettes, they are easy to grow - germinate & grow quickly & produce interesting flowers [basis of some early sex education here  :)] & you get lots - whether she will eat them is a different matter but great fun.  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal