Author Topic: leatherjackets in my lawn  (Read 1716 times)

Helenclare

• Not So New ...
  • lovely, it's raining and no longer cold
leatherjackets in my lawn
« on: April 09, 2006, 13:46:18 »
Hi. I seem to have a problem with leatherjackets in my lawn, I know they are the lave of crane flies and that you can only use the biological killer in Aug/Sept.....which I intend to use. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I can do in the meantime to keep them at bay. My lawn is becoming a mess as they eat the roots of the grass and kill it and the magpies and blackbirds are digging up the rest to try and eat them!!
thanks Helen

oubykh

• Half Acre
Re: leatherjackets in my lawn
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 21:00:28 »
i would suggest you try get it sorted ASAP. My mum had her lawn destroyed for a couple of years running by foxes digging it up for the leatherjackets.

Helenclare

• Not So New ...
  • lovely, it's raining and no longer cold
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 21:23:00 »
I have literally scalped the areas today and picked up the ones I could find and enjoyed feeding them to the chickens...yum yum!!

I can't find any info about treating them now it all says to wait till August...I wont have a lawn left by then!!

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 00:25:30 »
A possible approach now is to make sure the lawn's wet at nightfall, then cover with black plastic. If you lift the plastic in the morning the grubs should have been brought to the surface (adhering to the plastic) and can be left for the birds.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 13:23:08 »
I found this and though it might be helpful

http://www.garden-care.org.uk/hot_press.asp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal