Author Topic: Making a wormery  (Read 4203 times)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Making a wormery
« on: April 07, 2007, 22:50:15 »
We thought we would like to make a wormery & I have searched on here - there are threads but none of the links to instructions seem to be working.

Please could someone tell us how to make a simple wormery - we have looked on Ebay & they seem expensive for what is basically 3 or 4 curver boxes & a tap but what else do we need & how do we put it together?

Are the people who made them a couple of years ago still using them?  Would you recommend them?

Any advice greatfully received?  ???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Making a wormery
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 23:55:07 »
Hi Mary

I used to have some great instuctions, but it looks like that weblink is history.  However, after googling I came across these....

http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/articles/wormery/wormery.html

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:33:57 »
Thanks EJ, I too found that site - I spent ages googling  :) but I am trying to find instructions for a multi layered one - seems to make more sense as you can remove the 'done' layer plus drain off the liquid.  The ones on Ebay look quite easy to make but I can't see how the mesh works or what size it needs to be.  There are people selling instructions on there but seems a bit much to have to pay to find out how to do it if you see what I mean.  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 16:59:43 »
try finding blue bird on here, she's got a brilliant set of instructions for one, I think she put them on basics but can't swear to it  :)

janet h 1948

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 21:21:09 »
Recyclenow are doing wormeries. Can-o-worms  wormeries £66. I don't know if that is of any help.

sutton girl

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 08:11:33 »
Go to Wiggly Wigglers the email address is www.wigglywigglers.co.uk the y have loads in their catalogue sutton girl.
Sue

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 08:53:11 »
I made a wormery from some instructions I got via Freecycle. sorry I cannot find them now. I have never introduced worms as I found out you needed the ones from a fishing shop, I thought you just put ordinary ones in it. As with a lot of things, I never got around to getting them!! I can tell you how to make it though.
Get four of those stackable storage boxes. Cut out almost all the bottom of three of them, leaving a ledge around the bottom perimeter. Get some smallish gauge wire mesh. I got a piece from the garden centre, the type with small metal squares. Cut the square the size of the base of the boxes and lower them in, the little ledge you left will hold them in place. Stand the three boxes with wire in them on top of the still in tact box. Start placing your rubbish into one of the boxes, if it is small rubbish that will fall through the mesh, place a sheet of newspaper in the bottom of it. Cover the rubbish with a piece of wood, bit of carpet, or whatever you can find to fit the box. When the box is full, start on the next one. They will compress down and the 'juice' from them will hold in the bottom one. You can fit a tap to the bottom one if you like. I didn't bother, just fish the liquid out with a jug when I need it. Please note that at some point you introduce the worms. Not many people would want a wormery without them, except me....LOL!!!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 14:30:40 »
Thanks for the instructions & suggestions.  I think I shall have a go with the Curver box type you suggest Carcran - I have read that you can get worms from fishing stuff shops but also that you can get some from the compost heap & they breed pretty fast so that is what I shall try & do.  Off for a few days break in Brussels but shall have a go as soon as we get back.  :)

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 16:53:40 »
Here is a picture of the similar post.   http://bluebellyfarm.com/wormbin.htm

I'm going to try this over the weekend.

Riff...

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 21:55:45 »
Hi MaryMary,
I asked this same thing a while ago now and have tracked it down for you.  It was on the 29th March and is on page 7 in The Basics at the mo.  Bluebird came up with a fantastic system made from plastic crates. ;D
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 22:09:07 »
Thanks for looking it up, MM5, I now have really full instructions but OH has decided he wants the Can-o-worms one for his birthday - I would think we could easily make one much cheaper but if it's a pressy & what he wants  then I suppose I shall have to buy it.  Hope it works.  :)

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 22:42:47 »
Oo lucky you! ;D  Even though it's a pressie for the OH, it's always nice to have the real thing (no compromising and looks lovely and tidy ;))  Still if he changes his mind, at least now you know where the instructions areto make one.
Donna.
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal