Author Topic: First Aid Kit for Allotment  (Read 12845 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: First Aid Kit for Allotment
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 18:23:30 »
If you have kids on the lottie don't forget the sunscreen
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 18:38:51 »
Hi all, good thread it pays to be safety concious,

I might add, big dressings for big cuts ...

Sliced my finger today,  :-[ the plasters in my rucsac
were too small so I used gaffer tape. I bled so much it
leaked out of the edges. (soon stopped no long term damage  :))

I have a first aid kit in my shed but I don`t know where,
its under something or behind something, or in a mouse proof tin.

You`ll need a mouse proof box too, maybe hung on the shed wall
so you can always find it but can always take it to another plot if
someone`s hurt badly.

Sometimes I take the trouble to ask newbies if they have allergies
just so if they have problems we are pre-warned, similarly I`ve
started to make allotment buddies aware of my joint problems as I
stumble sometimes and bump into things a lot and so I may have a
bad fall at any time.

Quite a few of us have each others home and mobile numbers on
our phones and can call families if there is a problem (this did happen
recently).

I think all these approaches would help in a crisis and also make
plot holders stronger as a community,  :)

Col

... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 18:55:36 »
I think the telephone number is a good thing.  About three gentlemen on our plot, that I'm aware of, have had problems in the past, one is going in for a valve replacement soon, another is recovering from a stroke, and another from a heart attack.  I don't know what I would do if any of them keeled over and I was the only one around. Most of them have mobiles on them but I would bet they are locked so an ICE number couldn't be accessed.  Might suggest to the powers that be, that we should all be able to contact at least one of three numbers, who in turn would have home phone numbers for all members. 
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 19:35:53 »
we dont get a mobile phone signel on the plot at the moment as there are a couple of big cranes around the site where there building houses. But certainly when thats finished its definalty something we need to do.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 19:53:42 »
Is anyone first aid trained, just a thought , there are rules that pop into place then  ,fortunately I believe the Good Samaritan rules apply here so you can't be sued ,but different in different countries, I think it is Spain or Greece ,(jump in here Biscombe,)where you are not allowed to give first aid,and if you do you can be arrested, worth knowing if you go on holiday, and if you go to give someone CPR here I think you are expected to keep going unless you physically cannot.

Oh Cambourne I do sound like a damper, to a lovely idea.

I was thinking though with all the stuff suggested you may have to get a new shed. All good stuff though.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2007, 22:15:37 »
It's good to be concerned about the old H & S rules, but lets face it, if anyone did anything serious, you'd be phoning an ambulance. Also, as jeannine says, Good samaritan rules apply, so if you have a first aid box and someone injures themselves, say they stick the fork in their foot, you rush over, first aid box in hand, bandage it up and run them to hospital. equally if they need CPR you are supposed to at least attempt it. Just don't attempt to perform tracheotomys with a pencil and straw! It's about common sense between people. Once it contains creams and pills and is in the communal shed it's a whole different ball game. Maybe the answer is to advise everyone to make up a small kit for themselves and those that don't will at least know someone else will have one!!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 17:10:23 »

I'm nervous now - got a massive splinter upt the plot last night and it will NOT come out dispite many soakings in lemon juice and v warm water... I was going to go to the drs on tuesday to have it cut out... unless anyone has any better ideas.  Its on my right hand too and there is no end to tweezer it.

we've used soap an sugar many a time, if you can get to a chemist, you can buy 'drawing ointment', put it on, it'll draw the splinter out, hope you can get rid, oliveoil

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 18:55:13 »
magnesium sulphate paste slapped on and covered with a clean dressing should draw it to the surface or draw it out. it should cost around £1 from the chemist.

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 20:18:57 »
For mountain biking a group of us usually have most of what's mentioned, plus (if they're there somewhere sorry) paracetomol, ibuprofin (always have both as they do different thing and some people can't take one or the other, for that matter may as well have aspirin too), large gauze and tape, elastic bandage for sprains, tea tree wipes, and my very favourite thing ever: ARNICA! I have wee pillules but the cream is absolutely fantastic for bruising (or preventing bruising). I have taken a full-fly fall off (well, over) my bike and had a bad ankle bash from a car and the arnica is quite amazing. The cream is best for local application. Highly recommend it.

I do think maybe personal kits are the best idea. Contact details are a good idea, but difficult unless you do actually have a central area/kit that everyone knows about.

Tina.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 20:33:03 »
I am first aid trained and in South Africa you could only help someone once you had identified yourself as a first aider and asked them if it was OK to work on them.  We were not allowed to give any kind of medicines - even head ache tablets - unless of course they were not breathing then you just waded in and started CPR until medical help turned up.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Pinkgirl

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2007, 19:13:05 »
I would suggest the 'ice packs' that you crush to activate. New to the allotment thing but found these a big help when camping with no access to the frozen peas. (and no fresh ones straight from the 'lottie wouldn't be the same ;-).

A first aid kit is something we are looking to have for our plot once we get a shed or store box to put it in.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 00:34:48 »
eric bought one for our plots, it comes without antiseptic cream, he asked the chemist to make one up and was told he couldn't, we had to buy one already made  :o

it has
plasters, scissors, we added these
bandages, we added these
different size dressings, including a sling, which we added
cleansing wipes
antiseptic wash, which we added
and the tube of cream, again we added
 :)
Most, if not all 1st aid kits in the work place now come without medications or any sort. This is due to peoples possible allergies and also - if applied wrongly by the first aider - to save people from litigation. Just a thought for you to consider. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 09:25:13 »
I agree with the last statement, any first aid course I have been on over the last ten or so years has gradually taken any creams or meds out. Basically a first aider is just that, the first person to give aid,not someone who treats an injury. eg a piece of glass sticking out of a hand, a first aider would protect the area,leave the glass in,if it was a big piece sticking out a first aid would cover with anything suitable, a polystrene coffee cup  or similar and tape it well, then get the person to a hospital or call for help. It is not the first aiders job to try to remove it.

I think in a personal first aid box you may have extra things that suit your family that you are sure about but still no creams on a burn etc applies.

I have a kit at home, and in my car.

I would give first aid at roadside or whatever, and have done so many times, but I would follow the first aid guidelines. I think sometimes that is difficult but they are there for your protection and that of the wounded person. I have often wondered about the aspirin and the possible heart attack, but it is considered a no no by a first aider as it administering medication, however saying that please give me an  aspirin if you come to my rescue !!!

XX Jeannine

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 11:02:51 »
You shouldn't put anything on a burn unless you know exactly what you're doing, as many people put unsuitable things on which have to be removed later, a very painful process for the victim!

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 14:31:27 »
I got a pretty decent one yesterday from a big store starting with a "T" for £7.99. It had the most basic stuff like trinagular bangage, crepe bandage, finger bandage (?), dressing covers, plasters, safety pins, eye cup, a small vial of clear water a tweezer - called a Family Pack. 

I only had to add a couple of extra's like more antiseptic wipes, Stingoze, Anti distamines and more plasters and a bottle of still water.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 15:52:36 »
[quote
There's a story on our plot of someone who cut themselves & died a few weeks later - she was a nurse too! Who would've thought vegetables could be so dangerous?!?!

I'm nervous now - got a massive splinter upt the plot last night and it will NOT come out dispite many soakings in lemon juice and v warm water... I was going to go to the drs on tuesday to have it cut out... unless anyone has any better ideas.  Its on my right hand too and there is no end to tweezer it.
[/quote]

I would say sterilize a needle and open the skin over it so you can get it out. Seems silly to go to the Dr for a splinter! Of course, then disinfect well etc once you get it out. Can't promise it won't hurt like buggery though   :'(   You could try freezing it a bit with some ice if you are not very pain resistant

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 15:55:45 by antipodes »
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 22:52:04 »
I would try to do something if you definitely can see it. If you really cannot manage to remove yourself speak to the practice nurse at your surgery.

My son came in after falling over outside saying he thought he had a splinter in his hand, it could not be seen. I dug around quite deeply with a sterile needle ( have access to this) and he has always been quite brave about allowing me to do this even from a young age but could not find it. I assumed he was mistaken.

Three months later his index finger swelled after having a course of antibiotics for a chest infection - it went down after a few days, he then had a further course of antibiotics as the chest infection came back and the finger swelled again but again went down after only a couple of days. It swelled up again shortly after( each time it swelled it was at night and went down slightly in the day time) .I took him to the GP - I did tell him about the possible splinter - although my son had thought it was in his hand. He thought it may be Juvenile Arthritis - he had blood tests that came back OK. He then referred him to the paediatrician at the hospital.

Approx. 2-3 weeks after this my son was crying out with pain in the finger in the middle of the night - Sunday in the early hours - managed to keep him going to about 6.30am and took him to casualty. We were the only ones in there at this time. The finger was x-rayed - they thought he may have a problem with the joint- he was given a sling and fracture clinic appointment. At this appointment he had 2 doctors trying to decide what was wrong - I also told them about the possible splinter. They decided it was infected and admitted him for IV antibiotics. 4 days later we were waiting for a scan which he eventually had. I went with him and as soon as they put the scaner over his finger I realised what was causing all the problems - A pyracantha thorn - it had gone into his hand and had travelled up his finger - several centimeters. He had to have  1cm of his hand and the majority of his finger opened up so the could remove the splinter and wash out the finger.

He now fortunately has full use of the finger but of course blames me for not finding the splinter originally.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 23:02:24 »
freeky - got a splinter in my hand today as i was packing up and managed to pick it out with my other hand ( it was big )

But that story did scare me a little

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal