Author Topic: Compost  (Read 967 times)

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
Compost
« on: April 11, 2007, 14:24:39 »
Basic quesiton this ...

How to reutilise old/last years compost? I am assuming that after a year in a pototo pot or a container or hanging basket the compost is "spent" of nutrients, and if reused would need to use feed for the plants.

What is the best use for it? Add it to the beds etc in the garden and mix in? add it to the compost heap? throw it away?

Just what to do.... (on't like to throw stuff away but don't want my garden level to rasie year on year!  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Compost
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 14:42:32 »
I basically do all the things you mention.

Providing nothing diseased has been in it and there are no pests in it e.g. vine weevil larvae  I find by riddling/sieving and adding a 'potting base mix' I get a good mix for containers.

Basically the fine roots in the compost makes it into a nice loamy mix, so I make it up to the equivalent of a JI 2 or 3 mix.

Alternatively; I just put it in the bottom 2/3rds of a container and top of with new compost.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Compost
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 23:24:38 »
My compost tends to be recycled in a conveyor belt fashion with newest compost for delicate seedlings moving on to larger and larger containers with shrubs and suchlike. Most compost gets planted in the plot with whatever was in the pot at the time. None is thrown away. Any residue gets put through the composting process again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal