Author Topic: Birdfood recipe  (Read 1933 times)

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
Birdfood recipe
« on: February 02, 2007, 23:31:20 »
Hi everyone,
                     I was just wondering if anyone has any information on D.I.Y seed mixes. At the moment I just use the standard seed mixes in feeders and on the bird table. I also put grated cheese and sunflower hearts out.
  If anyone can offer me any advice about what to put out and what to add to mixes I would appreciate it.
    All The Best-Markyb. :)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Re: Birdfood recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 23:15:47 »
How about some DIY birdcakes?

My kids love to make them...

Melt some lard in a pan.

Add,

Grated cheese, bird seed mix, breadcrumbs, raisins, blitzed bird peanuts and suet.

Make hole in yoghurt pots, thread string through and knot at end.

Add 'cake' mix and put in fridge/freezer to set.

Remove yoghurt pot and hang in garden.

Alternatively put mix into a rectangular shallow tupperware dish, set and

turn out on to bird table.

Delia Smith, eat ya heart out  ;D

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 08:39:11 »
Hi all,  :D
                 I go along with Deb`s mix with the addition of dripping to the lard. I find that lard on its own makes too soft a mix, so I use 2 parts lard & 1 part dripping, this is a bit more solid.  :o
                                          Adrian.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 15:13:31 »
I made smoething similar last year. Enough for 3 coconut shells! I got a few visitors but it was a lot of time, effort and money gone to waste for the amount of birds that visited.
Maybe I got the mix wrong, There seemed to be a heck of a lot of suit/lard although I put slacks of seeds in.
If I do it again I'll cut back by at least half on that.

One thing. When the birds have chicks, it's advisable not to feed. The young'ens need insects rather than bread, seed what have you, and peanuts at this time are definitely out.

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 00:47:15 »
Thanks for the replies-Sounds like just what they need in this frosty weather.
       Cheers-Markyb. :)

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:21:53 »
I did some research on this, and found that the Americans have some really good recipes for fat cakes for birds. A lot of them recommend adding oats, cornmeal and peanut butter, which I'm going to try at some point. :)

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 10:50:17 »
I agree with that fluffygrue, We always put oats on the birdtable. My hubby remarked last week that even though sometimes there is food left over, there is never any oats left.
I still feed even when birds have young, ( but not whole peanuts ) I am sure adult birds (the same as adult humans) know what to feed their young and what not.
There that has stirred up a hornets nest, I'm sure  ;D
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
    • RSPB Shropshire Local Group - Southern branch
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 17:24:02 »
I am sure adult birds (the same as adult humans) know what to feed their young and what not.

Yes you're right nippie - except in extreme emergencies parents will usually give their babies what's best for them but they need their OWN strength keeping up in the breeding season, so RSPB advice is to give them wholesome food and clean water all the year round. (Definitely don't feed whole peanuts at any time though, just in case. It's OK to feed them in a mesh container so the bird has to break them into little pieces to get them out.)

Sunflower hearts are by far the best thing to give nearly all garden birds as they have a very high nutritional value. If you buy them by the sack from pet shops etc. they work out as cheap as mixtures bought in smaller quantities. Hedgehogs love them too!

Always a good idea to move feeders around from time to time and keep things clean to avoid a build-up of disease. Wild birds need all the help they can get these days, and gardens provide a valuable replacement for fast-disappearing suitable countryside.

flower Power

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 12:18:28 »
I have got a bird cook book at home if you want any more ideas.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal