Author Topic: Return of the song thrush  (Read 1873 times)

janet h 1948

• Quarter Acre
Return of the song thrush
« on: March 30, 2007, 20:49:58 »
Earlier this week I thought i saw a song thrush in the back garden. I didn't think much about it as we haven't had any for years.
Yesterday there was song thrush in the garden. Today I shouted OH as it was there again. As we stood watching in amazement, another one appeared. Then there were 2 more. A bit like buses I suppose.
Janet.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Return of the song thrush
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 20:52:04 »
How lovely for you.   ;D  I've never had a song thrush in my garden.   ::)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 22:24:59 »
I Like the Song Thrush too and a pair seem to be popping in and out of the conifer tree.  Thrushes have nested in there before, so fingers crossed. ;D

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 22:33:04 »
Is a song thrush different from an ordinary thrush?  Not brilliant at identifying birds [obviously] but we get loads in our garden & I often wished I knew what they all are though I do recognise thrushes.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 01:53:50 »
we don't often see thrushes - they're brilliant at dealing with slugs and snails. We always know if one's been around because we find empty cracked snail shells on the garden paving.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 02:23:29 »
We have plenty of thrushes, we hear them.  But they seem more shy than when I was a child.  They seldom come near the house nowadays, but stick to the bottom of the garden and the meadows beyond.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 17:03:24 »
we've got one nesting between our trellis and the fence behind it, keep seeing it diappear with a beak full of twigs, it'll be the first time we've had a thrush nest so we'll have to see what happens  :)

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 22:49:38 »
There are two UK thrushes, the song thrush and the mistle thrush. They look simolar but the mistle thrush is larger. The song thrush is the one that sings from the tops of trees whilst the mistle thrush makes a characteristic 'rattle' (don't know how to describe it). The song thrush is the one that uses a stone as an anvil to break open snails.
If it is a song thrush the nest will be made of grass or similar. It will be lined with mud/cow muck or similar which dries hard to give a very smooth surface, no soft material. The eggs will be blue with black spots.
The mistle thush makes a much bulkier and untidy nest of grass etc. It is lined with softer material and the eggs are blue/green with brown spots/blotches.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 23:03:40 »
Thanks for that very clear explanation, Toadspawn, I think it must be mistle thrushes which we have because they are quite big but with the characteristic spotty fronts.  I shall listen closely & see if i can hear a rattle or a song.  :)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 11:02:13 »
http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/

that's an excellent site with soundfiles so you can here the songs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal