Author Topic: April's National Geographic Magazine!  (Read 1297 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
April's National Geographic Magazine!
« on: March 30, 2007, 14:17:17 »
Has anyone got it?

There's an amazing article in there following the fortunes of a baby leopard cub called Legadema.

Here's an extract I just HAD to share with someone (I was going to take it to show Cockney Keef at the garage next door but he's more interested in the pics on his Pirelli calendar  ;D )

"Despite her deep fear of baboons, Legadema one day killed an adult female. When she discovered a newborn clinging to the baboon mother's fur, the situation took a bizarre turn. The tiny baboon innocently reached out to Legadema, accepting her as its new mother. Legadema initially seemed confused, but for the next four hours, she watched over the baby, groomed it and then gently carried it to safer branches higher in the tree whenever the baby cried. Eventually the two cuddled together and went to sleep. Before the night was over, the cold claimed the life of the helpless infant, and Legadema left the baby to resume her role as predator, feeding on the mother baboon's body"

There are amazing photographs of the whole scenario and I would highly recommend a peek  :)

There's also a feature on depleting fish stocks ... something that REALLY p***es me off  >:(

Trixie X
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: April's National Geographic Magazine!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 21:16:27 »
Wow Trixie that is so moving and yet brings the stark reality of nature to the fore. Will keep a look out for that issue when I'm out and about.

The fish stocks thing is something I am trying to become more informed about. I had trouble trying to explain things to my son yesterday when I ordered Haddock and not Cod in the fish 'n' chip restaurant.  So unsure about the whole thing and I do like to have a fish 'n' chips once in a while.

I've also witnessed dead fish being thrown into the sea at our harbour...too small but already caught so just given to the seagulls. Seems such a waste.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal