Author Topic: Badgers  (Read 1479 times)

ambermoon

• Not So New ...
Badgers
« on: March 13, 2007, 21:58:41 »
Help, the badgers love my onions ! Last year whenever my onions reached a promising size and we were waiting another week or so for them to mature, the badger would get there first , dig them up and have them for his tea.  He would eat the tops off and spit the rest out.  I am going to buy him some toothpast for his onion breath.  Any tips on how to keep the badgers off our plot  { legally,as we are animal lovers).  :) ???

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Badgers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 11:34:52 »
Badgers - as you will probably know are protected and it is illegal to block their tracks!  We get them in our suburban office garden - doing all sorts of damage.

They are after worms and scavenge scraps etc.  I asked a local zookeeper what would work and he said lion poo!  So if any of your neighbours keeps lions you could try that!

I had thought of trying moth balls - they smell pretty gross and I doubt any animal, with their extra special scenting skills, would like it!

Also, once, when I had a plot on a farm I had trouble with rabbits and I used something that smelt of fox - totally disgusting - but it sure stopped persistent rabbits and badgers are quite clean living animals so I doubt they would like the smell!  I think it is called Renardine.  You will get it in farmers type stores.

Seriously, it would be interesting to hear any other possible remedies.

;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal