Author Topic: Mildew on Honeysuckle  (Read 3565 times)

aob9

• Quarter Acre
  • Fermoy, Co.Cork,Ireland
    • My Blog
Mildew on Honeysuckle
« on: March 27, 2007, 12:32:41 »
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to treat honeysuckle for mildew? I lost one last year on the side of shed, I put it down to the water running from the roof saturating the container.
Now it's springtime and it looks as if I have the same problem elsewhere in my garden. I have three honeysuckles climbing a large south facing trellis.They thrived all last year and survived the winter without a problem. This week it seems the dreaded mildew is back. I am certain it is mildew as I have seen pictures of it on the 'net but no definite advice on how to treat it. ???
Anthony

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Mildew on Honeysuckle
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 15:18:56 »
Spray with Copper sulphate (Cheshunt compound) which is allowed by organic growers I think. Or spray with a systemic fungicide if you do not mind chemicals. There are various ones around, the ones recommended for mildew on roses are as good as any.
Now I have read somewhere that you can spray with milk. But I cannot say I have ever tried it and h ave no idea of the type of milk needed (full cream, semi skimmed, skimmed or even Soya!), nor the dilution required.
Gardening is the great leveller.

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 16:07:08 »
I seem to get this on our honeysuckle every year. Not quite sure what am doing wrong! :(

I just cut off the infected bits and it springs back into life once more, although would be interested to know what is causing it or a preventative.
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 16:27:26 »
This kind of mildew is often associated with dryness at the roots,

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 16:53:15 »
ahhh, whoops, thanks :)
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 21:39:37 »
This kind of mildew is often associated with dryness at the roots,

For certain! have one lot of honeysuckle that has it's roots in cool, damp soil, no problem, no mildew. Have same plant on a sunny fence where the soil dries out regulary, mildew every year.

aob9

• Quarter Acre
  • Fermoy, Co.Cork,Ireland
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 12:15:32 »
I have just mulched around the roots. I'll water regularly and treat with a suitable fungicide.We'll see what happens.

Can anybody suggest a vigorous,hardy climber for a south facing trellis in case I cannot save the honeysuckle?
Anthony

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 20:30:15 »
Campsis radicans!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal