Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 25029 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2007, 17:53:15 »
 ;D ;D ;D

No need for commission, bennett...I have already sold my soul to Amazon! Have now restricted myself to having a peek once a week, and only buying something once a month! It's faaaaarrrrrr toooo tempting!

;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2007, 18:16:50 »
Emmy, if your Mum hasn't got Daughters of Copper Woman, let me know and you can borrow mine. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2007, 18:19:51 »
Oh Katy you said that bad word Amazon, that is nearly as bad as the other profanity eBay. Although I have hardle spent anything on either in the last few weeks. Thank you A4A
  XX Jeannine

PS I think I will go and see if they are still there XX
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2007, 18:43:34 »
 :o

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo! Don't do it J!!

:-\

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2007, 09:43:05 »
I hang my head in shame...............

Amazon.4 cookery books.

eBay.squash seeds and pumpkin seeds and tomato seeds and squash seeds and carrot seeds and sq........

There is this big selection box of seeds too, I might just keep an eye on it , just for curiosity, that's all .

Oh I have to go and lie down

XX Jeannine

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2007, 11:29:44 »
seeing as our town's only "new" bookshop has just closed down citing the rise of supermarkets selling books at half list price (and crap a selection of books, too, I might add...!) I use Amazon for specific books and our Oxfam bookshop for a rambling book shopping experience.  Oxfam are great, but it can be pot luck as to what gets donated.

Seeds: garden centres, swopsies, online catalogues.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2007, 17:27:49 »
Emmy, if your Mum hasn't got Daughters of Copper Woman, let me know and you can borrow mine. XX Jeannine
Thanks Jeannine. I'm seeing her in a few weeks so i'll know then. She says it might be boxed so i'll let you know.
Bennetts, i agree about supermarkets for books, although v.v.good for cookery and gardening books. lucky here as there is a Borders and loads of good charity bookshops. My fav bookshop though has to be Waterstones. It's the smell of coffee and brand new book...mmmm!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2007, 16:21:00 »
I've just finished 'Maxwell's Mask' by M. J. Trow - the latest in the popular Peter 'Mad' Maxwell series.....actually I listened to it - addicted to audio books and listen when ironing/cooking or just relaxing as a change from reading (when my eyelids tend to droop ;))

thoroughly enjoyed the 'who dunnit' that kept me guessing to the end and the humorous, slightly sarcastic at times, style of writing.

moving on now to Virginia Andrews

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2007, 22:08:08 »
I finished "The Hawk dancer" and read "A wedding in December" by Anita Shreve and "A short history of tractors in Ukrainian" while on holiday- the best time for reading! Enjoyed them all.
BTW if you don't want to give the big bookstores all your money, don't forget www.greenmetropolis.com - great secondhand book site, all paperbacks £3.75, you can sell as well as buy, and they give a donation to the Woodland Trust for every book sold. Think I got the link from another member here.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2007, 22:47:06 »
Just been reading a magazine article where they asked 5 women authors what their favourite books were and what they were looking forward to reading. One of them mentioned a sequal to "Chocolate" called "The Lollipop Shoes" - can't wait!

Have just finished "The Food of Love" by Anthony Capella(?) - it's fantastic. The way he describes Rome and the dishes cooked by the main character is incredible. Started it this morning, finished it this evening (no housework done in my house today  ;D).

I did manage to feed my children lunch and dinner, but there wasn't much conversation between them and me! I heard my 6 yr old say to my 4 yr old "You have to speak louder to Mummy when she's reading, she's actually IN the book, so she can't hear as well as she does normally"  :-[

Tabby

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2007, 22:51:01 »
I'm still in Pilgrim's Progress but only about 5 pages to go... the theology is really deep and I have to read some pages several times...
 ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2007, 11:12:38 »
It is deep; it's also horribly individualistic. There's an 18th Century sequel where his family goes after him, which is a bit more rounded theologically.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2007, 22:06:14 »
 Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl

Written by Harriet A. Jacobs

She was born a slave in North Carolina in 1813,became a fugitive in the 1830's,recorded her struggle for freedom in an autobiography  which was published in 1861.

A must read book 

XX Jeannine

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2007, 10:25:17 »
Sounds great Jeannine. Love these sort of books. I find them really fascinating and inspiring. I'm guessing you've already read Maya Angelou's series of autobiographies?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2007, 10:38:48 »
Hi Emmy, no I don't have those.

I have quite a large library of books about slavery and the trade, it is a subject I have studied since I was a girl many are historical texts and  many are  non fiction stories from slaves themselves or childrens stories telling the facts in a child frendly way,

XX Jeannine

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2007, 10:42:39 »
Her story is that of a young black girl growing up with her grandmother in 30's Arkansas. The books follow her life from her childhood right through her life. They start with 'I know why the caged bird sings'. They are great books, she has a unique take on things that i think you would like.  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2007, 14:42:32 »
Actually I think I have read the Cage Bird one,but it way back if it is the same one,I will have to look those up, thanks you XX Jeannine

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2007, 11:53:20 »
Have just finished a book called "The Allotment: Its Landscape and Culture" (http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,88888889/) - very academic, but deeply fascinating. It discusses in detail the way allotments fit into English history, and also their relation to other parts of Europe. Not a 'quick and easy' read but highly recommended.

Am currently reading "Fencing Paradise" by Richard Mabey. This is a book of reflections by Mabey prompted by his visits to the Eden Project -  he basically walks through each biome and writes about plants that catch his eye, discussing biology, ecology, folklore, history, philosophy, art etc, and also the general themes and ideas of the Eden Project itself and how these relate (or don't) to the outside world. Anyone who's read Mabey (especially Flora Britannica or Nature Cure) probably won't need me to recommend this, but nevertheless - it's absolutely brilliant!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2007, 13:57:33 »
Wow rob, going to look out for The Allotment... and also Richard Mabey, I've never read him but he has been recommended to me before.
I am reading...Born 1900 by Hunter Davies. It's the stories of people and institutions born or founded in 1900. Totally fascinating.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2007, 16:35:29 »
Just finished The Bad mother's handbook- funny and touching at the same time (needs an x rating in places, if you're sensitive!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal