Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 24940 times)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 09:58:45 »
I've just started The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster (good so far) and also A Cook On The Wild Side by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (special offer last week from River Cottage website), so now I know what to do with the nettle patch on my plot!

Have just finished Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, first part of a 3000-page trilogy about science, politics, money and power in the late 17th century - it's an absolutely astounding book, and I can't wait to get stuck into volume two (The Confusion).

And finally, as I'm off to Cornwall next week, I'll be reading lots of books of Cornish walks to see which ones we'll be doing this time...

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 10:55:27 »
Fab! Loads of things there that I really want to read! I've never read the Gormenghast series but my friend rates them very highly. Finished Mother's Boys last night.Picked up Mavis Cheek 'Aunt Margaret's Lover in charity shop on way back from school run, along with few others, going to start that today I think!

Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 11:48:13 »
the gormanghast trilogy (well the first two anyways) would be my desert island book. 

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 13:22:39 »
Want to read the gormanghast series as well. Reading Rubicon, history of Caeser and Rome but written as a novel rather than an academic book. Did realise how cruel they could be. Great book. Only once have I never been able to finish a book...Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, just way too depressing.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 13:48:47 »
Only once have I never been able to finish a book...Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, just way too depressing.

Only read One Hundred Years of Solitude by GGM. Also heavy going, but v.v. good.
The only book I've never been able to finish is The Famished Road by Ben Okri.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 13:55:23 »
still haven't finished A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth ::)

Would be interested to hear "crime" recommendations from other members.

Mark Billingham has written four or five books about a good detective character, Tom Thorn, set in London.
I also like Harlan Coben – he writes mostly about an American sports agent called Myron Bolitar who ends up investigating murders and kidnappings, set in USA.

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 21:08:36 »
I usually read the type of books as written by Cathy Kelly, Katie Fforde and Erica James. However, for the last four months I've been librarian where the only readers are men!  :o (Work that one out!) This has encouraged me to try some of the books they read, so I've recently read PD James, John Grisham, Peter Robinson etc. I've just finished a couple of 'technothrillers' by Michael Crichton of Jurassic Park fame and I've got a Harlan Coben to read although I'm not keen on American authors - they often use too many Americanisms and really awful language for my taste.

My stint at this library finishes this week, but I will continue to read thrillers on a fairly regular basis.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2007, 21:44:16 »
You work in a prison library?

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 23:04:56 »
THE STEEP APPROACH TO GARBADALE by Iain Bans will be my next read when the gardens looking tidy again (after the visitors!) The joys of living in Spain!!!!

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 10:24:32 »
That's what i thought too Robert! Has to be prison library?

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2007, 10:38:30 »
The Great War for Civilisation - The Conquest of The Middle East by Robert Fisk. an excellent book.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 11:36:36 »
Criminal Law textbooks....ugh.......

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 12:26:03 »
Have just finished Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, first part of a 3000-page trilogy about science, politics, money and power in the late 17th century - it's an absolutely astounding book, and I can't wait to get stuck into volume two (The Confusion).

OH charged through all of them and really, really rates them. When I'm back to comuting by train again (April 22nd! Bye-bye crappy old job, hello lovely new one! Can't wait!!) I shall get stuck into them...and then buy new copies to replace my B-in-law's battered, borrowed copies!

I've started Love in the Time of Cholera, found it a beautifully written book, put it down and haven't picked it up again.  There's not enough time to deicate to it at the moment but I will persevere again (when back on the trains etc!)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2007, 16:04:31 »
Currently I am reading the Trail of Tears, the true story of the Cherokee Indians upheaval.  XX Jeannine
XX Jeannine

Jeannine, have you read Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee? It's very painful read, I'm only 1/4 way through. Have to keep leaving it and coming back to it. It's too much to read in one go, just far too horrific.
[/quote]

I read Bury my Heart when I was about 12 yrs old  :-[ It's stayed with me ever since. I can still see the book cover now on my parents' bookshelf.

Not reading a book at the moment but I've just skim-read my bank statement. Not as distressing as 'Bury My Heart' but it comes a close second!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2007, 19:47:03 »
oooo a bit excited about the books I have read recently. The Island was an excellent read a bit strange at first but grew quite compelling. That is written by Victoria Hislop. Just finished The Book Thief by markus zusak again a very slow strange start but really couldn't put it down after the first few chapters. I had tears in my eyes at the end.Forgotten what my new book is but am enjoying for once it is a british read about a woman in her mid 40's and oh what a change to have it set in this country.
Marigold

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2007, 19:58:10 »
Just started Dangerous Lady by Martina Cole
OH Half watching Football !!!!!!!!

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2007, 11:52:30 »
Trixiebelle, All Quiet on the Western Front  was the book I read aged 11/12 that has stayed with me all my life. Can't believe you got through Bury My Heart! It's such a great book, and so well written. I love the lists of other events that were happening at the same time around the world. Puts it all into perspective.
BlueBird, what is Martina Cole like? I've heard she is highly rated so what do you think?

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2007, 18:07:36 »
Yep, prison library is correct. Did my last stint last night, and 'nicked' a few cuttings from the herb garden outside the library on my way out. I WILL get my herb/aromatic garden done this year (if I'm not put away for doing this!)

In case you're interested, the most popular genre in the prison is true life crime, followed by crime fiction. Martina Cole is very popular, but I didn't like her.

I've just finished my first Harlan Coben, which I enjoyed and have just started rereading Delderfield's 'To serve them all my days' - one of my favourites which I havedn't read for about 5 years.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2007, 15:17:10 »
GGM - 'Love in a Time of Cholera' depressing? Think it's a fab! love story 8) But '1000 Years of Solitude' an epic great too (like GGM, me 8))

Now then.....the book I started in the 80's & never finished? Umberto Eco's 'The Name of the Rose'......kept starting it, reading it at deathbeds, overtaken by events ::)......never finished.....be warned folks! started reading it again ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2007, 22:46:42 »
Great book, it's nuch better than the film.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal