Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 24937 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2007, 23:03:31 »
Currently reading The Hills is Lonely by Lillian Beckwith. Dated, but hilarious. Have 3 others of her books in the same vein to read too. Can't understand why I've never come across them before.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2007, 23:24:29 »
I also love Erica James' books - recently added 2 more to my bookshelf to read.

Loved 'Chocolat' (the book) and have 'Five Quarters of the Orange' by Joanne Harris to read.

Also have a Jenny Pitman book 'The Inheritance' lined up - not read her before but looking forward to that.

A real surprise book to me (& very gripping) was 'Charlotte's Friends by Sarah Kennedy - of Radio 2 fame!

Currently reading 'the Journey' by Josephine Cox - easy reading in bed.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2007, 00:09:27 »
I have just read these three books by Susie Kelly

Best Foot Forward: the Misadventures of an Englishwoman:  In this book Susie Kelly travels solo, on foot with a backpack, from La Rochelle to Lake Geneva.

Two Steps Backward:   Susie describes her life living in an old farmhouse in France.

A Perfect Circle   Susie and her husband travel around the perimeter of France in an old camper van.

A good read for Francophiles.  Susie Kelly has a good sense of humour and I found her descriptions of places and people really interesting.

I have now just begun reading Grumpy Old Women by Judith Holder .

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2007, 11:50:42 »
I'm currently reading The Sunday Sport. :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2007, 14:14:35 »
Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan...#
Well you did ask...
 :-X

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2007, 16:43:03 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Pauline7...Susie Kelly is GREAT! Loved all her books.
Also love the Gormenghast trilogy. One of my secret vices is Jeanine Mcmullen "My Small Country Living", "The Wind in the Ash Tree" and others, probably all out of print now, but tell the tale of how she managed with little money and lots of animals and a house which frequently bit back.

Right now my main reading is seed catalogues. Note to self: do more reading!

;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2007, 17:41:44 »
Trixiebelle,I could have sworn I aswered your question. I must have pressed the wrong button...........anyway,no I haven't read Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee, but I have heard of it once or twice so I think I will find it.

I have just finished Daughters of Copper Woman(again),by Anne Cameron . It is a re-telling of the legends carefully guarded and shared with her by the  Native Indian Nootka women on Vancouver Island.It talks of the first woman in creation and how she gave birth to the first man, the coming of strangers and the problems that then came. It is  very moving story of sisterhood,an odd book, you will love it or hate it.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2007, 18:33:17 »
Jeannine: Look for the book 'Searching For Red Eagle'. A lovely woman in the US. wrote this book and I had the pleasure of being in contact with her for a while (must get in touch again! thanks for the reminder!)

I'm reading 'The Poacher's Handbook' by Ian Niall at the moment. Fabulous!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2007, 18:40:32 »
Thanks Trixie I will Xx Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2007, 20:57:00 »
I have just finished Daughters of Copper Woman(again),by Anne Cameron .
XX Jeannine

Have been on the hunt for this Jeannine, my mum thinks she has a copy so I'll get to read it soon.
 :)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2007, 23:18:49 »
If you look on the cover of Kite Runner, you will see a rec from Isabel Allende. She is just superb. wiould recommend anything by her. Liking the look of that allotment book too. Hmm, need new bookcase.  ::)

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2007, 15:19:36 »
The Lilllian Beckwith books were the first 'adult' books I ever read, at about the age of 10! I found them hilarious.

I'll look out for the Susy Kelly books mentioned; they sound as though they might be fun. I keep meaning to read the books by Carol Someone (Drinkwater?) about an olive farm in France. I like books on France, probably because we used to holiday there most years.

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 19:52:24 »
If you look on the cover of Kite Runner, you will see a rec from Isabel Allende.

Two south American magic realist authors in one thread. You are an intellectual set of people  ::)

Isabel Allende is one of those people whose life contains enough material for rather a lot of novels, but my favourite story is that as a young woman, she was sacked from a job translating romantic novels from English into Spanish, because she was changing the dialogue and the endings so that the heroines were smarter than in the originals - and the publishers thought that readers wouldn't like it!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 19:54:30 by Ceratonia »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2007, 20:07:16 »

I read Paula by Isabel Allende some time ago and it still lives with me now, one of the most moving things I have ever read.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2007, 11:30:22 »
Flo, great big thanksXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX The Island received today,you are a love. Thank you Jeannine XXXXX

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2007, 12:18:24 »
The Island is an amazing read....stays with you, same of Kite Runner'.  Number one read for me has to Carlos Ruiz Zafon 'The Shadow of the Wind'......oh the days before law books! Very envious of all of you,mind you Lord Denning's books provide some light relief...

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2007, 20:08:56 »
Lilypad - think the books you mean by Carol Drinkwater (Helen Herriot from 'All Creatures Great & Small' fame) are a series about her much beloved Olive Farm in France. I read the 2nd in the trilogy 'The Olive Season' and loved it so much - hadn't realised it when I brought it home that it was the 2nd - so wished I'd read the first one but want to read more.

I also enjoy books by Judith Cutler.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2007, 11:10:09 »

I read Paula by Isabel Allende some time ago and it still lives with me now, one of the most moving things I have ever read.

Me too, one of those books that actually really makes you cry! x

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2007, 12:19:45 »
Carol Drinkwater (Helen Herriot from 'All Creatures Great & Small' fame)

Wow - just found out that there was a previous Mrs Herriot. Always knew her as Lynda Bellingham... Showing my age there!

I started with the second book too and enjoyed it very much and am always on the look out for the first one.

Bella Pollen is also a very good read. A talented writer and spins a very good yarn.  Her books so far are non-related and include: Hunting Unicorns, Midnight Cactus and The Daydream Girl. Just finished Midnight Cactus and read it cover to cover (allowing for sleep and conversational interruptions! ;D)

I've also just bought Lily Prior's latest, Cabaret and seriously hope it is in the same vein as her other wonderful, slightly off beat books (La Cucina, Ardour & Nectar).

For a bit of additional magical realism, I hearilty recommend Louis de Bernieres first three books (before he sold out with Cpt Corelli <grumble grumble>!) The War of Don Emmanuelle's Nether Parts, Senor Vivo & The Coco Lord and The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman. I've just sent my duplicate copies to an american friend who was raised in Guatemala - yet to hear his critique!

PS: will we be up for a sales commission for all this advertising we're doing on this thread!!???!? ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal