Author Topic: Things we make in the winter months when we can't get on the lottie.  (Read 15168 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Tim you must put a history on the back of the frame, who made it ,when, and the wonderful stories you have told that go with it. Quilts such as this are very much sought after and they are apart of history. I was given an old quilt about 20 years ago that had been in a family for years, the old gentleman in my church  that gave it to me was an only child  of an only child,he  never married so there wa no-one to give his quilt too. I felt so honoured, I got all the info I could from him and embroidered a history label with the stories he told me.When I pop off whoever gets this quilt will know it's background well. Sometimes things get forgotten and details fade.

Wonderful stories, thank you so much for sharing them.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
Kitten, I cannot sew I'm absolutely useless at it, but I managed quilting and actually really enjoy it. It's not that difficult and believe me if I can do it then anyone can. Like Jeannine says start with something simple, even a cushion cover to start with if you want to do something small and quick to finish to build your confidence. I was lucky to have a really patient friend on a forum who helped me a huge amount. The book she recommended to me and which I found really easy to learn from is The Singer Quilting Bible (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quilting-Singer-Sewing-Reference-Library/dp/0865732000). It is a really enjoyable pastime especially for the winter months when you want to be warm indoors and there's little to be doing at the allotment. :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Hi, I have found the picture of the Dear Jane quilt which I have just started. this is a copy of the original quilt made in 1863. It is made up of 225 4 inch blocks, but only one at a time!!There is a whole army of Dear Janers out there working on their version of this quilt.

I would love someone to work on one at the same time as me ,PLEASE.. I have tons of info  I can share etc.

Thank you Jeannine XX
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
gulp :o I'll pass this time, that is way too complicated for me, I'm still learning! It does look lovely though :D

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
I have really enjoyed following this thread, thank you all.  I would like to be more organised and productive in the winter - what inspiration there is here.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Thanks Jeannine & Leonnie for the advice & encouragement!  I'll have a look round for those books and perhaps give a cushion cover a go!  I'll give you a shout if I get going Jeannine, would love to have a mentor as experienced as you on hand! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Not  a  problem I might have few bits and pices you can have., XX PM me Jeannine

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Jeannine, why was it called a Dear Jane quilt?
Smile, it confuses people.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
It was made by Jane A.Stikle in 1823.When it was displayed in a book it caught the eye of a modern quilter, she became entranced with it so her and a friend decided to recreate it. As she started work on the quilt she started a log and in this she wrote letters to the long gone Jane,she started her letters Dear Jane and the project took off.

With every block she made she wrote a letter, and kept this log till the end.

The letters are all published in the Dear Jane book with the patterns in.There is even an electric Dear Jane  which is software.
 XX Jeannine

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Thank you Jeannine and all you others for the pics and the info - it's so interesting to read and it's something I'll keep coming back to.

Lish

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
What a lovely story it gave me goose bumps to read it. Well done all you creative souls - I bought some knitting needles once ............ :-\

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Such fantastic work everyone  :)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
What beautiful work, very talented people out there. My passion is making dolls, here are a few examples. I can't stop making them I'm so addicted ;D  Thank goodness for good old Ebay ;) ;D
Happy gardening all...........Pat

plimsoll plot2

• Quarter Acre
  • Where my heart is
Gardengirl  am intersted in the items u make for my neice and nephew were on ebay can i find them please :)
were my heart is down at the plot

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
love dougal, you're very talented  ;D

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
They are fab gg  :)

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
They're all amazing, gg! I love Dougal but Uncle Bulgaria is the one for me!  ;D

nippie

• Acre
Gosh you are all sooo clever.
My passion is cross stitch, these are two of the larger ones I have done, not very good photos because they are under glass.

This one I did for the millenium, if you click it for the larger image you might be able to read it,

and this one I did for the queens golden jubilee, again if you click you might be able to read it,

Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Fantastic work nippie :D  I have tried my hand at a few tapestries, but never cross stitch. The detail in your work is amazing :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff everyone. Love the quilts and would love to make one. Spring now so maybe next winter. I might start collecting scraps now! Jeannine, I love the history behind the Dear Jane quilt. although I've had a little go at quilting when I was younger, that one looks a bit ambitious for a novice! might start with a sampler style one.
I make all sorts of stuff, much to the amazement of most of the playground mummies, so it's nice to see here that it is still valued and doesn't make you a weirdo!
I knit, all sorts of garments, bags and soft furnishings, floor cushions etc. I sew- clothes, curtains, bags, embroidered bags and clothes, beading. I also used to love batik, although you need a fair amount of space, which i don't have at the mo.
I also love to make dressing up clothes for my 2 little girls.
Ooh, used to make candles at one time too, although did actually get fed up with the fiddliness and mess!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal