Author Topic: Cold weather - how are you coping?  (Read 4498 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Cold weather - how are you coping?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2007, 16:35:12 »
fleece, bubble wrap, newspaper all on standby, we put the plastic covers(69p from homebase), over the tray of seedlings, then bubble wrap, then fleece..potatoes are covered with newspaper then fleece, it seems to have worked in the cold snap..it's getting warmer though  ;D

Laney

• Quarter Acre
  • Clueless in South Essex
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 09:37:29 »
All my seeds and seedlings are in a warm and toasty south facing living room, taking up all the space.  I need to move them somewhere cooler, but have no porch,conservatory or greenhouse.  I have onions and potatoes outside, but my spuds don't seem to be doing anything in this weather. :-\
Blog

The main purpose of holding children's parties is to remind yourself that there are children more awful than your own.

garlicgirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 07:28:01 »
I'm lucky. I live on the south coast. Even so we've had a few frosts. My babies are outside in old enclosed rat cages that now pretend to be cold frames. My peas are sprouting , though!
magistra adsignatio sum
(i am the mistress of the allotment)

Laney

• Quarter Acre
  • Clueless in South Essex
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 08:56:09 »
I'm lucky. I live on the south coast. Even so we've had a few frosts. My babies are outside in old enclosed rat cages that now pretend to be cold frames. My peas are sprouting , though!

That's a good idea! What do you cover them with?  I have a budgie cage in the garden that could be utilised.
Blog

The main purpose of holding children's parties is to remind yourself that there are children more awful than your own.

LucyJ

• Not So New ...
  • Hemel Hempstead (ickle east facing Garden)
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 13:18:54 »
Ah Jeanne, thank you, was wondering why my toms inside were doing better than those in my green house/shed. hopefully the sunshine today will kick start them if not i'll put them in the heated propergator and see if they like that better!

Was away last week and left OH watering plants, lost a few toms and a chilli but the rest seem to be doing well i was wondering what i would do with all of them so a silver lining really!

parsnips seemed to have liked it though as its kicked started them germinating.

Lucy
http://lucysgarden.blogspot.com/
Hemel Hempstead (ickle east facing Garden)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 14:22:28 »
all ok here, i'm still on 'northern time' so there's nothing in that can't do winter  :D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 15:25:38 »
The suns out, so I'm giving my seedlings a little holiday outside for a few hours.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 16:31:35 »
i,v got a heater set on frost control and the G/H is insulated with bubble wrap and it seems fine. i start some things off in a electric propagator and if the forcast is very cold i try to cover tender things up, marigolds have germinated with no extra heat
marg 8)
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal