Author Topic: Cold weather - how are you coping?  (Read 4499 times)

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
Cold weather - how are you coping?
« on: March 20, 2007, 21:32:35 »
I have started quite a few trays of seeds in a small free standing greenhouse.  I'[m happy to say the germination rate is high and the majority of the seedlings were up before the recent cold spell.

I originally put a candle under a terracotta pot but as the temperature has dropped this is not sufficient.  The candles just don't last long enough.  I have bought a fleece cover for the greenhouse which helps a bit.  Because of the small space I now use an oil lamp, a bit like a Davey lamp.  It seems very efficient and so far all the seedlings are doing well, in fact, the cabbages are going mad!  It's good because I cam control the temperature a bit better.

I was just wondering how others are coping with the cold and what you're doing.
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
Re: Cold weather - how are you coping?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 21:43:05 »
Hi PJW  I have got most of my seeds germinated up to date (see  http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/monthbymonth2007.htm ) and I am hoping that the cold spell here in Cumbria has not set them back to far, most of my seeds are in a large polytunnel and I think the heat from the soil is helping on a night to keep the temperature up a little, some of my seeds have been started off on top of a hot compost heap with a cover over them, get some realy good germination that way.
good luck for the coming season
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 22:11:09 »
I've had to put a lot of my germinated seeds into my plastic greenhouse as there is no room indoors.
The chillies are still alive, but not grown a great deal.
I've got a max/min thermometer and the temp has gone down to 2 degrees C at night.
But it may be slightly higher inside their propagators.

I've planted an Acer (from Woolies) and it is doing well, a fair bit of new growth.

I may have to bring them all indoors if we get the promised snow.

BTW it was snowing Cornwall today (according to my Mum).

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 23:11:42 »
My toms, chillis and aubs live in my conservatory until April.  All of the other seedlings are in the greenhouse with the protection of an electric fan heater.  I have it set on a frost free setting so it only comes on when it gets very nippy.  I also fleece, and use sheets of newspaper if necessary.  The peach tree I received for mothers day is in the conservatory as it is covered in blossom and I think the cold snap would finish all the buds off.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 18:34:07 »
Put my fan heater on last night for the first time in over a year!

Managed to hold 37*F (3*C)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 18:37:56 »
Aint done no seed trays yet. :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 18:40:59 »
wotcha :P

i've 200 chili plants outside in my polytunnel, for the last 4 days i've just covered over with  bubble wrap, quite warm in there during the day, starting to warm up abit now though ;D

Raisedbed

• Not So New ...
  • Hampshire
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 19:15:09 »
I'm running backwards and forwards from the greenhouse to the house like a raving banshee at the moment.  But it's worth it to ensure my seedlings don't suffer.   They are all looking pretty healthy right now.    Gets to be little tight for time in the mornings when I should be leaving for work.  Maybe next year I can persuade the other half to let me have a greenhouse heater.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 22:45:09 »
It was -2 last night, and all my plants are still alive.   :D

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 22:50:58 »
Not been really cold here, but my 6x4 plastic greenhouse has been heated the past couple of nights with an ebay special parasence double heater and the temp has been a couple of degrees above freezing, plants all look happy, although the fumes in the morning are something else. :)

Broad beans on allotment were covered with a fleece cloche and are looking fine, Onions and Garlic have been out in it all winter and again looking good!

Regards

Matt

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 23:20:30 »
I managed to nip down to the allotment quickly this afternoon, and sure enough it had frosted there; it's always colder than where I live. According to metcheck, though, it's due to warm up.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 08:37:07 »
Everything this end seems ok. Only the peas I would be worried about as I planted them out on Saturday but they had been out in the elements in a seed tray. Most of my seeds are germinating well in the plastic greenhouse.

Broadbeans survived the other snow we had and so did the onions & garlic.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 08:59:37 »
Living off my nerves with chilli and aubergine plants in an unheated propagating unit inside a cold greenhouse! ;D

My thermometer reads it goes as low as zero in there, hopefully the gravel bed they are on retains a bit of heat, plus a layer of fleece on top helps insulate them from the cold.
I'm potting on some tomatoes today, they will have to go out there too... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 23:29:24 »
Keep your fingers crossed Deb... are you down this weekend?
 :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 08:45:10 »
Keep your fingers crossed Deb... are you down this weekend?
 :)

Working both days I'm afraid, and next week (grrr) so will be going down today. OH has promised to go down and put my cordon apple supports up at last though so you will probably be able to hear him cursing at some point in the proceedure from your house.....! ::)

My neighbours must wonder what on earth is going on, as I get my torch and go up and check the temperature in the greenhouse when I get in form work (well dark by that time) in case I have to move my little vulnerables inside for the night!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 11:37:32 »
Oooh we are so lucky here in the far south west. No snow and only one frost to speak of  :D
Most of my seeds have germinated in the cold greenhouse or on a window cill and then moved to the greenhouse.
Things are loking good  ;D
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 19:31:22 »
One thing to bear in mind is that your toms will not grow if the temp is under 54F/12C,they will take temps lower than that of course without dying ( not freezing, as even  a light frost will cream them) but they will stand still if the temp does not go above the quote above. I think  this is worth knowing for when they get planted out too.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 22:20:01 »
Well, its a thermal vest plus two jumpers and an old coat - and if the wind is blowing I will wear a hat.
Sorry.........!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 23:08:56 »
Actually I cam home today and my central heating was on th blink, being fixed tomorrow,I am shivering and the tomatoes are all cosy ans warm in thir heated greenhouse,maybe I should sleep out there tonight XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 03:21:20 »
The GH fan heater has kept the minimum to 5degC which it's set at, but judging by the germination pattern, that wasn't high enough for the electric propagators to keep a nice high steady temperature.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal