Author Topic: Yet another leggy tomato question!  (Read 2354 times)

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
Yet another leggy tomato question!
« on: May 10, 2004, 19:01:00 »
Bet everyone is sick of these!!  ::)

I pricked my toms out about 2 weeks ago and grew em on in 3" pots.  Some were a bit leggy so I did the whole planting deep thing.  They have all come on fantastically, and I am really happy, but still think they might be a bit leggy now.

They've got about 7 true leafs (stalk thingies) and the taller ones are about 8" - the varieties are tigerella, gdners delight, alicante and roma.  Should I be worried at all?  Plant them deep when planting out at the lottie? or am I being a worry wort over nuthin!  :D

Pretty happy coz I have 29 plants over the 4 and already given some away *chuckle* and I was worrying I wouldnt have enuff eh!

cheers

ken

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Yet another leggy tomato question!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 12:05:26 »
Sad that you've had no reply.

Don't know, without seeing them but, mostly, folk worry too much.

I have seen leggy, leaning things grown on windowsills that I wouldn't acknowledge as mine, yet they've cropped fine!! = Tim

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 07:46:58 »
Thanks Tim - yeah wondered why nobody answered lol.  I think everyone is sick of hearing about tomatoes already  ::).  On one hand I dont think they're all that bad really, but then I dunno  ;D.

Here is pics of 2 trays.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 09:01:52 »
Tall - but healthy! Just look at Ina's!!

Just prepare the ground well, with compost well down &, as you say, plant deep - having taken off the bracts that would be covered. = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 12:51:48 »
Exactly what mine look like!  Controversial, I planted 3 out on the plot today in bottle cloches.  I am not alone, but I am the only one providing extra protection.  Yikes!

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 14:09:52 »
mine look like that too!

would the deep planting thing be a technique to use with chillies too?

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 15:03:19 »
Mine are hardening off in the cold frame now, they'll be alright there for a week or so, then I will risk a few hahaha.

I must say tho, people at my plot already have all their beans out, some toms, and one guy even has his corn out!!! not me mate lol

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 18:33:28 »
I am feeling left behind on my site Kingkano - like yours, they have their corns, toms, squash and beans out!  They keep telling me we don't suffer from frosts on our site thanks to the trees and hedges, but still......I want to, my fingers are itchy (you can probably get talc for that  :P) but I will wait, I will wait, repeat after me......we will wait....we will wait....

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 19:07:15 »
lol @ EJ.  its hard to sit on them hands eh.  You can always copy me, I always grow an excess, and then stick a few out early (I stuck out a few beans today).  Then if we get a frost I still have my mainstay lot to stick out, and can always so a few seeds.  If we dont, I have some slightly earlier :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal