Author Topic: Hoeing, thistles and dandelions  (Read 4221 times)

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
Hoeing, thistles and dandelions
« on: April 28, 2004, 13:04:02 »
Hi,

We have a thistle and dandelion problem on our plot.  The plot had been left to seed for three or more years and was then rotavated by our neighbour last year.  When we dig, we come across any number of roots and bits of roots, many of which are trying to grow.  We pick out what we see and take them home to put in our green bin.  However, there is no way we get them all.  Will hoeing kill them off or are we going to become sworn enemies for as long as we have the plot?

Thanks

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
Re:Hoeing, thistles and dandelions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 14:10:58 »
I dont think you EVER kill off weeds completely...just a case of keeping in in check im afraid
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 14:36:11 »
I agree - you won't kill them easily by hoeing, though eventually you will do it. In the interim, at least hoeing (and mulching) can be used to stop them setting seed. "One years seeds means seven years weeds" after all.
Sumer is a coming in....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 14:37:43 »
The problem with thistles and dandelions is their tap root.  If you cut the tap root up into lots of little pieces, each piece will grow a nice new healthy plant. So when you hoe, all you are doing is creating a new clean growing point which will sprout several little plants in place of the one.  When the plot was rotovated lots of little cuttings were made!  :o  Bind weed and nettles are all as bad. Dig 'em up and get rid of them is the only way.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 16:34:57 »
Hoeing, if done often enough (?I think I remember being told at least twice a week) means the tap root has to start supporting new growth repeatedly but there's nothing going back in the way of products of photosynthesis, eventually (and I do mean eventually) there's nothing left to support new growth and the root gives up. I've used a combination of the push hoe and straw mulches to suppress (but not eradicate) ground elder, plus, of course, disposing of any roots discovered when digging. "Single" weeds like docks etc. would be better dealt with by grubbing, I agree, but if you've got them in places where you don't want to (or can't) get at them because of crop plants, a good hoeing and a good mulch will help to control them.
Sumer is a coming in....

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 16:43:30 »
There is always roundup of course! :o Depends how "organic" you want to be! ( I dig mine up, many have taproots the size of parsnips ;D)  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 16:46:12 »
Mine are the same DP.  Hope my parsnips have roots as impressive as thistles!  :o

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 16:49:17 »
Only got around to putting my snips in this afternoon EJ! Hope they catch up  ;D DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 16:53:09 »
The way mine get rust etc. I suspect I'd do better growing the thistles & docks - but one serious note of warning - NEVER hoe creeping thistle. I'm sure if you pureed the blooming stuff, every drop would root & grow........
Sumer is a coming in....

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 11:01:42 »
I think round-up may be the answer in the end, but this year is going to be the year of the hoe.  We are trying to be pesticide free but there are just so many of them...
We went away for three days and they're everywhere again.  When digging, we tried to get all the root we saw but there was no way to get it all.  I did pull up a dandelion with a tap root over a foot long :o

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 23:04:35 »
I have a composting book that says nice things about dandelions - the leaves are good in the compost heap or make a liquid feed. Also, the leaves can be used in salads. Do I recall reading somewhere something about dandelion beer/wine?
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 15:37:41 »
I'd recommend blanching the leaves before using them in a salad - turn a terracotta pot of suitable size upside down over the dandelion & wait for the leaves to go all yellow & orrible looking, then pick them, wash them - and bin them. Still tastes vile to me even when blanched.
Sumer is a coming in....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 22:14:44 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal