Author Topic: Soya beans  (Read 1036 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Soya beans
« on: March 05, 2007, 15:23:30 »
I've searched for any posts that might relate to these questions about soya beans and I've Googled the life out the internet!

Bought a packet of soya seeds today (especially for the English climate apparently)

Can anyone enlighten me regarding the following:

1. Do they 'climb' like other beans and do they need supporting?

2. Can you eat the beans BEFORE they're dried (i.e. like peas)? It says on the packet 'delicious with butter'? I know you have to boil them to make them digestible but do they have to be dried first? And I've got a recipe for 'sprouting' them (Supersprout would be proud  ;D )

3. How many plants do I need? Sowed 40 today, but judging by some of the 'harvest' stories in the search engine I probably need 4000  ???

Thanks in advance

Trixie X
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Soya beans
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 15:29:10 »
I'll watch this post with interest, Trixiebelle..I've been thinking of growing these beans as soya is very good for ladies of a certain age   ;D

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 15:43:33 »
I believe I read somewhere that you can eat the beans green as you would other young beans/peas.  I seem to remember that they are a delicacy in Japan, and they are known by another name, which I'm afraid escapes me at the moment.  I'm planning on growing some this year too.

I'll have a think and see if I can remeber anything else.

http://www.birdseye.co.uk/ourfood/soyabeans/soya-bean-faq.aspx this mentions using them as green beans
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 15:46:06 by sweet-pea »

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 15:49:34 »
Theres a little more info here  http://www.edamame.com/  Edamame was the name I was thinking of.

Hope this helps.  I'm afraid I have no idea on their growth habit though

SP

Also, if you've been searching for info on soya beans, it might be worth searching on soy beans or soybeans.... might come up with something useful.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 15:51:54 by sweet-pea »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 17:50:27 »
Hi ,I have an old west coast seeds catalogue from 2000.they offfered one in that,Early Hakucho to eat green, said to wait till the soil really warms up,they grow like a bush bean,harvest the fuzzy pods when they have just plumped. Most folks over there direct seed their beans,I usually start mine in pots and would with these .I have never grown them XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 20:58:44 »
Thanks all for the info!

Apart from Manic-scousers  :o Ladies of a certain age indeed! I'm only 62!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 21:01:15 »
I was only talking about me, trixiebele, i know you're young at heart after reading your posts  ;D..I'm only 54 but feel about 90 at the mo  ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 21:06:23 »
Don't take it to heart Trixie, I think it to help with puberty !!! XXXXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal